Layer Feed that Isn't Pellets. Okay?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - my girls just flat out reject any pellets or crumbles I give them. They will eat scratch but not layer pellets or crumbles. I found these two products on Amazon that I want to try but wanted to know if any of you have tried them and/or like them as an alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5MPVJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PS24841/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

any thoughts/comments? Ps Happy New Year to all of my chicken loving friends!

Leave out the pellets - stop treats until they eat their food. They will eat it before starving to death. But giving in and giving them scratch is the same thing as giving into a toddler wanting candy instead of their dinner. Once they get used to it....
It's more like them eating the mac n cheese but not the steamed veggies and chicken.
(Don't tell anybody but I may order double Mac n cheese at the cracker barrel...)

You can't let them just have scratch, it's too much carbs and not enough nutrition but chickens will choose scratch over pellets because it's tastier.
Don't give them scratch at all for a few days, when they're hungry, they'll eat the pellets. Also check the mill date on the feed, it could be too old.
Thanks for the tip about the freshness date. Will check that. Did you see the links above? They say that they are 100 percent layer feed, just not in pellet/crumble form. Do you think it is not true? Just wanted to get some expert opinions of these type of "complete layer feed" links that are not pellets or crumble. Thanks!

Wooza! That stuff's expensive! If you look close, it appears that both have pellets in the mix. I'd put money on the fact that the primary protein ingredient is contained in those pellets, and if you're birds eat scratch and shun pellets, I bet they'll leave the protein in the feeder and go for the goodies. (This is bad for them, obvs—they need protein to do stuff like make eggs and grow feathers after they molt.)

I'm with everyone else, stop with the scratch until they clean their pellet plate.

Thanks for the tip about the freshness date. Will check that. Did you see the links above? They say that they are 100 percent layer feed, just not in pellet/crumble form. Do you think it is not true? Just wanted to get some expert opinions of these type of "complete layer feed" links that are not pellets or crumble. Thanks!
I would not use the second since it's all seed, essentially scratch.( plus is $38 a bag:th) the first is pellets mixed with scratch, so they'd just pick out the grain and leave the pellets again and you'd be in the same boat, but at a higher price)
They'll eat once they figure out they can't just pick out the parts they like.
I feed flock feed with oyster shell on the side.

I'll be the dissenting voice. The two feeds you linked are fine provided that you can ensure they eat everything in it. That means serving it wet or fermented. If they're picking out parts of the feed, wasting/ignoring other parts of the feed, then they're no longer eating a complete feed.

Very good point and one of the reasons I really like pellets.

I wonder if the flock would eat pellets or crumbles if they were moistened.

Back
Top Bottom