Layer feed

**baby chicks don't need oyster shell, but by the time you are integrating them with the rest of the flock, having it available (because its available to your adults) won't hurt. They won't need it, yet, even the hens, but it won't hurt.
I have chicks with the flock almost every year, raised by a broody and living amongst the others, and the presence of eggshells or oyster shells isn’t a problem at all. They pay no attention to it. The hen is very good at showing them what to eat and what not to eat. Just saying this for people who are new, not to worry if their chicks are with the flock and have access to shells. They’ll know when they need them.

I have chicks with the flock almost every year, raised by a broody and living amongst the others, and the presence of eggshells or oyster shells isn’t a problem at all. They pay no attention to it. The hen is very good at showing them what to eat and what not to eat. Just saying this for people who are new, not to worry if their chicks are with the flock and have access to shells. They’ll know when they need them.
Agree, its not a problem, they just don't need it. Apologies if my post suggested otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom