Layer feed

MUST I feed layer feed to my hens in order for them to layer or can I feed a high protein feed and they will lay anyway.
You can feed them a higher protein content feed.
What is the protein content of the feed you're giving now?
If your hens are laying and they are production breeds, Red Sex Links for example or even some of the higher egg production heritage breeds that are kept confined, there may be some benefit for feeding an 18% protein feed if your currrent feed has below that protein content.
With high production confined hens, one does have to bear in mind they require a lot of calcium in the feed, If leaving calcium carbonate in some form seperate from their normal feed is impractical, you should be looking at 4% to 6% in their feed.

I found my hens needed higher protein than in layer or some go after blood feathers or eat eggs. Right now they are getting pumpkin treats from me, I should make some frozen treats too soon.

You don't need a layer feed. I've never used layer feed and never will, I don't like that it forces the chickens to eat a flat rate of calcium year round, when their needs vary with the seasons and throughout their lives. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein and no added calcium, and the chickens always have crushed eggshell on the side to eat from as needed. I don't have problems with feather eating, feather quality, or thin shells. This also makes it easier when I have chicks, males, and non-laying hens - everybody eats the same and I don't have to worry about different types of feed.

I'm sure this is a mis-speak. But for those reading, it has minimal calcium levels suitable for all life stages except actively laying hens.
Come on now, you know what I mean. Basic poultry feed is nutritionally balanced to contain everything that a chicken needs, including all the vitamins and minerals and yes, calcium along with them, because all chickens need some calcium. Layer feeds add more calcium on top of that, for the specific needs of layers. So "no added calcium" means no additional calcium added on top of the basic complete formula.

Back
Top Bottom