Layer feed

You don't need a layer feed. I've never used layer feed and never will, I don't like that it forces the chickens to eat a flat rate of calcium year round, when their needs vary with the seasons and throughout their lives. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein and no added calcium, and the chickens always have crushed eggshell on the side to eat from as needed. I don't have problems with feather eating, feather quality, or thin shells. This also makes it easier when I have chicks, males, and non-laying hens - everybody eats the same and I don't have to worry about different types of feed.
Would this option be alright for non free range hens? My 5 hens will be 16 weeks in 2 weeks and I’m researching feed for them. I like the sounds of how you’re feeding your flock, but I can’t free range them.

Edit: also there are so many different feed and it’s so hard to pick which one.

Would this option be alright for non free range hens? My 5 hens will be 16 weeks in 2 weeks and I’m researching feed for them. I like the sounds of how you’re feeding your flock, but I can’t free range them.

Edit: also there are so many different feed and it’s so hard to pick which one.
I’ve never free ranged mine and they are fine. I like Purina - it’s easy to find, good consistent quality, and not too expensive. I don’t get too hung up on brands. I mean… these are just chickens, after all. I love them but I’m not going broke so they can eat top shelf, I have other priorities and expenses as well. They are healthy and doing just fine on Purina flock raiser.

I’ve never free ranged mine and they are fine. I like Purina - it’s easy to find, good consistent quality, and not too expensive. I don’t get too hung up on brands. I mean… these are just chickens, after all. I love them but I’m not going broke so they can eat top shelf, I have other priorities and expenses as well. They are healthy and doing just fine on Purina flock raiser.
oh sorry, thought you free ranged because it says free ranging under your name. Thank you for letting me know how you feed your flock. Thx.

Lol! I just noticed it says Songster under my name! lol.

oh sorry, thought you free ranged because it says free ranging under your name. Thank you for letting me know how you feed your flock. Thx.

Yeah those are titles automatically given to users based on their experience at BYC (I think how long since they joined and how much they’ve interacted with the forum). They’re chicken-themed 🙂

I free range. and like most posters here, for kmost BYCers, in most situations, I recommend an "All Flock"-type feed for all your birds, of all ages and genders, all the time. With free choice fresh clean water, free choice grit*, free choice oyster shell** available at all times.

*there are conditions where grit isn't needed, but its dirt cheap and lasts forever. Cheap insurance.

**baby chicks don't need oyster shell, but by the time you are integrating them with the rest of the flock, having it available (because its available to your adults) won't hurt. They won't need it, yet, even the hens, but it won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom