Layer Mash Vs. Pellets?

Well my chickens don't make a mess at all with their mash, so I guess I'm all set! There is literally never ANY spilled, guess I'm lucky!

Good to know though, thanks for the help!

I used the mash with the chicks and switched to crumbles when that bag was gone. I didn't think they were wasting the mash, but when I cleaned out the brooder, there was a ton of mash spread around the feeder under the shavings. The crumbles seem to be working great, I've noticed they are not going through it as much.

The study does reveal both advantages and disadvantages of both pellets and mash. Which one is right for you depends on your aim.

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Is rapid weight gain healthier?
2. Are pellets natural?

These above questions are where I find my answer to the study. However, there are other questions which may be more relevant to your aims such as:

OTHER QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:
3. Should I process my chicken faster because time is money?
4. How do I get lower priced chicken faster
5. Do I make more money with the chickens which die prematurely of ascites, but speeding up the growth cycle as a result from pellet feed consumption?, or is there more profit in feeding the entire flock an extra 2 weeks and having no deaths from ascites?

Here is a copy of the study in case anyone wishes to review what was found when comparing mash v. pellets study:
http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/a...om-ascites-organic-chicken-food-for-sale.html

Mash is defined in the dictionary. To mash is to reduce (a food or other substance) to a uniform mass by crushing it. It is through mashing that feed ingredients that layer mash is created.

Pellets are mashed also, but an additional process occurs after mashing to transform the mash into a pellet. Some pelletizing processes use additional oil to pelletize and some do not.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the above question.

Back
Top Bottom