Layer or Grower Feed?

No problem.
Sorry, I meant "All-flock feed". All flock feed can be ideal for dual purpose flocks, flocks with a mixture of roosters and hens, an all-rooster flock, and flocks that include multiple types of foul (turkeys, guineas, etc.).

This type of feed can be found at your local feed store or TSC. I use all flock for my flock of hens and roosters and I've found Purina to be my favorite brand.

Good luck!
Do I get that for my baby chicks or wait till they are older?

Do I get that for my baby chicks or wait till they are older?
@BrooksHatlen mentioned this already. You can feed crumble through their whole life (chick —> adult) or switch to pellet when they become “teens”.

I personally do not feed chicks “all flock” feed, but a lot of people do. I like to feed my chicks chick feed.

Echoing @All4Eggz and @BrooksHatlen - Feeding an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type feed, with free choice oyster shell on the side (plus whatever eggshells you want to give back IF you want to) - is my general recommend for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management.

"Layer Feed" is based on some very old (relatively speaking) studies whose concern was reducing feed costs of commercial layers, under commercial management conditions at the lowest possible cost - below which, reduced rate of lay, reduced egg size, and increased mortality exceeded cost savings. ...and keep in mind, the end point for those studies was generally somewhere around 20 months, the point at which the layers were being sold for pet food, poultry by-product meal, an the like. The only condition that mattered was that the bird be alive for processing at that point, sop they could recoup a few pennies.

Most BYCers don't have a flock of commercial layers, most intend to keep their birds more than 20 months, and few are trying to do so at a cost where buying replacement birds is the "answer" to increased mortality from birds living at the margins.

For those, like myself, who eat their free ranging "dual purpose" birds at much younger ages, the higher protein in All Flock/Flock Raiser helps them with early weight gain, and results in a somewhat more robust bird in the face of disease or injury. It also results in larger eggs, more frequently - but those numbers are so tiny (1-3%), literally a gram or two in average egg weight, an extra couple eggs per year - that you would never notice them, except in studies or at commercial scale.

*All Flock/Flock Raiser used to describe a feed at 18-20% Protein, 3.5% fat +/-, 1.5% Calcium, 3.5% Fiber +/- (listed in declining order of importance).

/edit and yes, if you can get it as crumble, feed that to all your birds, all their lives, without regard to age, gender, molt, start of lay, etc. If you are worried about waste (the reason pellet was devised), you can offer it as wet mash or fermented feed. I find wet mash helps with "pasty butt", and seems to have a beneficial effect in managing high heat conditions. Obviously, it has issues in extreme cold, but I don't experience extreme cold, and have no first hand knowledge to offer.

Back
Top Bottom