Layer pellets or crumbles which do chickens prefer?

My ivermectin is clear - not blue so can't I use it?

I hear what you are saying about the mash and crumbles being the same thing - but I meltdown the pellets with some warm water to make soft dough-like mash.

You said you only have 2 hens. If I read the first post right you have 1/2 a 50# bag of food left. How old is that food. I have 18-24 hens at a time and they would't consider eating food that was over 4-6 weeks old, but then they go through a 50# bag in 1-2 weeks, dependng on the number of bugs they can scratch up.

A 50# bag of food is wayyyyyyyy to large a bag for 2 hens to eat with in 2 months time. ( 2 months is a good time limit for food for chickens, after that it gets stale and they don't like it). Try a smaller bag of fresh food.

Also, I make Wine and when I made my Jalapeno Wine the smell was more than strong. I had just opened a new bag of cat food a few days before. My cat would not touch it after I started that wine. Had to buy her a new bag. Chickens liked it though (they were molting at the time).

Try a new bag of food and toss the old if they go bonkers on the new. Crumbles or Pellets, your choice not theirs.

That is verrrrrrrrrrry interesting! I was wondering about that. The bag of food I have is about two months old - it has been stored in the house.

All the local feed suppliers only sell 50 LB bags.

If it is the food I will gladly replace it!

Thank you for reading my post properly.

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't know about that. You might want to PM speckledhen and ask her. She'd surely know.

Have fun at the flower show. I"ll be there too!

My four are eating their crumbles and not wasting any. I've been feeding Flock Raiser as so many of you have suggested. I just added a pan of calcium for them.
I'll be getting a few chicks later and plan to feed them a small bag of medicated chick starter and then the FR.

Chuckzoo, if all they sell is 50# bags of food you don't have enough hens. You'll just have to get a few more.

Seriously, keep bugging the feed stores to get the 25# bags of food. I did that but for 50# bags of grower food. After about 2 months they finally relented and got a batch in. Sold out the first week and had to order more and they've had it ever since.

I'd LOVE more hens! Unfortunately don't have the space - I live in a garden home. I'll try getting the feed store to order 25LBs they told me it only comes in 50LBS.

See you at the South Eastern Flower!

OK DH went to the feed store and bought a fresh 50LB bag of Crumbles. They are going to order smaller bags but it will take weeks for them to come in cause they come in a display stand.

Hope they enjoy their crumbles while I am away.

Thanks for everyone advice!

Back
Top Bottom