Laying after prolapsed vent....anyone know???

BlixbabyFarm

In the Brooder
May 20, 2016
So I had my first vent prolapse experience about 6-8 weeks ago. Almost year old lavender orpington, Maude, who had been laying fine developed a prolapsed vent. I did all the treatment stuff and shes gotten better (YAY I fixed a sick hen for once!!:ya) but she still hasn't laid an egg since. Its been about 3-4 weeks since the prolapse has healed. She eats and drinks and is her normal self otherwise. Comb isn't AS red and waxy as my laying hens. I check her vent and she for sure isn't laying, not moist and her pelvic bones don't fit my two fingers.

My question is: will she ever lay again? Im not sure why she developed prolapse...apparently wasn't egg bound as far as I can tell. Sooooo I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and has some info...???

My "friend" had a chick with a prolapsed vent. It "healed" and the chicken laid eggs again. I don't know how long it was before that happened.

well its all a moot point now as Maude passed away yesterday. Had been doing pretty well, not quite back to her normal self but i figured she was just recuperating but then sunday morning, went to let them out, no maude. Dead. I had someone tell me that same die that chickens just die and its part of having them, you don't usually know why. But i have friends that have chickens and have never lost one! someone said maybe i keep my coop TOO clean...could that even be a possibility...? like to think not..:barnie

*hug* I am sorry Maude passed away. She's probably in chicken heaven now..

I've never heard of a coop being TOO clean. I actually mop the floor in my sun room, where my baby chicks and baby ducks are growing up. lol - my ducks will do "Duck Patrol" and walk circles around me to make sure the chicks stay out while I am cleaning. It's cute. :)

Don't stop keeping the coop clean! I think it's better to be too clean than to force the animals to live in filth.

Remember the good memories of Maude. She was loved.

Back
Top Bottom