Laying an egg without a shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YardBirdCountry, Feb 13, 2014.

1. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    Ironically enough, just after finding my first soft-shelled egg ever, I saw this thread! Look at how cool it looks!

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of young pullets who are going to start laying this year, so I think it may be on of theirs. I'm gonna wait and see if it improves. All the other hens that are laying aren't having any issues, so this may be just a one time glitch. If not, we'll see what we can do. In the meantime, my dogs will have an extra tasty treat in their bowls tonight. Hopefully laying a soft shell isn't a health issue. Most times it isn't, but just in case, I'll be watching.

1 person likes this.
  2. crazypoultrychx

crazypoultrychx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    um........yeah........thats what animalfarmer ment.........humanely ment to lop off their head and feed it to the dogs......sometimes you new peeps get too silly!!!!

2 people like this.
  3. Andiexb

Andiexb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Roses are red, violets are blue. If chickens don't lay, they become stew.... Or dog food lol

5 people like this.
  4. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    I have a hatchet that hangs in the coop. When the ladies start to slow i remind them of the motivator. And tell them the slaying will continue untill the egg laying and morale improves. It usually works.

1 person likes this.
  5. homsteadhippie

homsteadhippie New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    How do u tell which ones are laying

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a hen that will lay a shell less egg if she doesn't eat enough of her layer feed. If she goes out to free range, gets too many treats and does not get feed with calcium in it for a day or so, out comes the shell less egg. She refuses to eat oystershell. I have tried two different kinds of oyster shell and even tried cuttle bones themselves. She won't touch them. But as long as her other goodies, including free ranging is kept to a minimum, she manages to put a shell on her eggs. So be careful with the goodies and treats and make sure they are eating layer feed for most of their daily diet. Some hens are sensitive, and need more calcium than others. :)

7. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    my Aunt 78 year old had a chicken that ate eggs ..she took egg shells and stirred in a little corn meal and black pepper and water feed to the flock . No more problem

8. That's kinda mean.. No offence. I am just an animal rights activist so, I do not think that is funny...

9. Andiexb

Andiexb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA

Well other people are finding it funny... I have never done that it's just a saying that someone told me once. And I added the whole dog food thing cause other people are saying they do that.

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I'm with you. But I'm a firm believer that , what goes round comes round. Every dog has it's day !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by