Laying at Night?

McKenley5

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
I have read time and time again that hens lay in the morning. I even read that article that someone posted on here the other day that said they rarely lay after 3pm.

Now I will add that mine have only been laying for about 2 weeks now, BUT I have one that has laid after dark 2 days in a row now. What is going on?? Is it just that she needs more time to figure this whole egg-laying thing out??

hu.gif

Last edited:
Mine's been laying for 2 weeks and she's ALL OVER the place
smile.png
She's laid in the morning, afternoon, and in the evening (after 6pm!) LOL I'm hoping it's just that's she's getting used to everything and will settle into a more regular rhythm but if not I don't care ... as long as I'm getting the eggs
smile.png

Mine tend to lay sometime between 8am and 3pm. However, they are new at laying eggs and more than half are still not laying yet. My pekin duck though, she lays early before sunrise. Hers is always the first egg I find when letting them out of the coop in the morning.

Most of ours lay between 8:30 -4:30, though every once in a while one will lay after 6 pm. I figured they will lay when the egg is ready to come out!
smile.png

I have a polish who just started laying at about 7:30pm...she was consistently laying mid afternoon 2 weeks ago...I am wondering if it has to do with the shorter daylight.

Sometimes young hens will lay whenever, they should start laying earlier in the day when they get the hang of it.
My friend is having a problem right now with her new pullets. One of them is laying her egg from the roost before
daylight. She goes out before work in the dark to feed and there they are on the roost with an egg on the ground
under them.

I had 2 eggs under the roost this evening, and I know they weren't laid today because I've checked/collected several times today. One had for sure laid while at roost because there was egg residue on the roost bar below the chooks. The egg was splatted all over the place. I have several youngsters tho that are still tryin to get the hang of this egg laying bidness.

Back
Top Bottom