Laying chicken laid a tiny egg today

I got a tiny egg too! Don't know what chicken layed it. It has a tiny crack in the side of it because it froze. Here is a picture
idunno.gif

I've gotten a few of those from my hens too. They still look like normal eggs inside. The yokes are so dang cute and small. We have jersey giants and rhode island reds.

This is the very small egg I found today by my California White pullet. She has been laying for only about 4 weeks now after recovering from a bad frostbite episode where she lost part of one of her feet in December of 2013. I had introduced a sweet roo who is a few months older and she immediately laid an egg :). The egg size has been a smaller but regular size white egg. I think roosters do encourage laying after this performance. Today however she laid this teeny teeny one.. I almost missed it!

Anyone see one this small? Is super hard.

I just learned these are called fairy eggs.. and are nothing to be concerned about.

Her shoes are helping to rehabilitate her ability to walk with just a stump and two toes left. The foot is on our far left.

Last edited:
Our chickens are not new layers but, I got a tiny brown egg like that, 3 days in a row. Something wrong I wonder?
Nothing new in our chicken world of feed, no stress. Its been alittle warmer here lately, but that shouldn't matter too much. I don't even know which of my 20 hens layed it, lol!

I read it may have to do with some disturbance or change in the reproductive cycle.. She is back to regular size eggs today. :)

Cheryl,

I saw your post today. I had the exact same thing happen today. Did you ever get an answer to your question.
It's not because of a rainy season here in Ct. we need rain.
Just wondering
thanks
Joyce

Back
Top Bottom