laying ducks

hawkeye

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Ann Arbor MI
new to laying ducks, we have chickens

we are in Michigan so we are getting colder.
if I add a light to the ducks night Koop so they get 16hr of light will they lay this winter the ducks are 26-28 weeks old now. they are runner ducks white, blue and dark brown. i know their color make no difference, some people may like to know.

Since they are runners yes it is possible that they would if you added the light.

I have 16 of the Golden 300 hybrid layer duck pullets from Metzers and 11 Exhibition White Runners pullets, 1 light (60 watt energy saver curly bulb) on in coop for 15 hours per day, The hybrid layers have been laying for about 2 1/2 months nearly an egg a day per bird and the Runners are kicking in, they were younger - and not all from the same hatch, so they are not at full production yet but I am consistently getting 20- 22 eggs a day total, 15 - 16 of these are the hybrid eggs at this time. I expect all the Runners to be in full production by the end of the year and the hybrids to continue to lay as well throughout the winter and into Spring.

Matt

I added a light to the night pens over the winter- yes it kept them laying- but it can also mess with their natural body clock as far as molting goes. Since they also stop laying while molting- you may a reduction of eggs at different stages of the year in your flock as individual birds do molt.

Back
Top Bottom