Laying egg internally? Please Help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KAKBucks, Jun 16, 2008.

1. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I went out to the coop this morning to a very sick hen. Very listless with discharge on her bottom. On palpation you can feel an egg, but it's covered with a membrane. She was so ill I figured it was too late to do anything and had to run to work, so I left, but she's doing better since I got home. The egg is still there, but she's not as listless, is walking around, etc.

I'm soaking her in warm water as suggested in another post for chickens that are egg bound, but with the membrane covering the egg I'm guessing this is something other than her being egg bound.

Any help?????

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  2. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    She's still with us, in a crate in the house. Please help!!!!

3. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    I came home Sat. night to a sick one. She couldn't stand on her own. Thought she might also be eggbound so I did the warm water bath. She was better yesterday and even went on the roost last night.Looks great today. Wish I could help but don't give up. Maybe someone with chicken smarts will help you! I also wormed all of mine on Sunday. Hadn't yet and thought it might help. Best of luck to you!

4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I recall someone saying worming a sick chicken, especially one that was possibly egg bound or an internal layer was a poor course of action.

Not sure what membrane you're feeling. Does your chicken have the penguin stance?

I've lost mine that were internal layers. To make them more comfortable, I elevated their food and water as they just could lean down. And they were ravenous.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by