laying egg on floor

Quote:
try golfballs or wooden eggs in the nesting boxes. My leghorn figured it out herself and she was the first to lay an egg so then the RIRs saw and laid eggs in there. Good luck have fun with your chickens!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Don't worry about picturing it. Check out the "COOP" Construction page in this forum and you will see many options. I happen to have all 10 of my birds on one 6 foot 2X4 with the longer face vertical. So they stand on the 2-inch part. The top is set about 27" from the floor. See the coops link and you will see what people are talking about..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=9

Lots of options.....
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you all again for the info and the nice welcome. I've put 2 golf balls in each nesting area for a total of 6 golf balls. I haven't seen any eggs in there yet but I'm sure thats also because they are new there, still sorta stressed and may not even know the area exists. I was thinking about trying to pick them up and place them in there to let them know its there but I'm not sure if they trust me enough yet. I've tried throwing a handful of scratch out there to "spoil" them into liking me and it's sorta worked. I don't want to throw too much out though because I still want them to eat what I bought them.
Also, I'm not sure if this is helpful info on my part but I've kept their little door open at night. Could that also be the reason why they decide to roost next to it? Should I shut it at night? I've noticed many if not all people seem to shut them in the coop at night. My chicken run is completely inclosed so no hawks or cats or any other chicken eating species, except snakes can get in. I figured they'd be safe with it open but I'll close it if its best.
P.S If a snake gets in thats big enough to eat the chickens then its more than welcome to them....I'm not standing in the way.

When I first got my chickens it took them a bit of time to get use to there new place. It took them three weeks before they started to lay for me and that only after I let them start to free range.

I leave the little door on my coop one every night, but there is a run there to that is closed up.
I did find that when I had some white chickens that one of them would always lay on the floor, but I do think they were what is called a battery chicken which is a chicken that came form a egg raising place. They are raised in cages.

I have 6 nest boxes plus a corner they often use right next to the nests for, at present, 8 layers. One is occupied by a broody. I have one hen who lays half her eggs in a nest and half in a far corner, where I have to sidestep my way behind the roosts to get it, which I did again about 15 minutes ago. She's the only one who lays that color so I'm sure who the culprit is. She's at or near the top of the pecking order, a bit of a bully, and over 2 years old. There have been golf balls in the nests forever.

Some chickens....

Quote:
At first I kept the coop door closed, for maybe a week, but they were all younger and I wanted to make sure they knew where it was safe....But I keep the coop door open so they can go into the run when they want in the morning. Everyone puts themselves to bed about 9, I close the run door and the open doors to the coop I keep open for air circulation. In the morning they are all waiting in the run, ready for me to let them out! It's so cute! LOL! I would say you don't need to close the coop door if they are all staying in the coop at night, but if you want to be safe for a few days then close it....that way they really know where it is safe....
thumbsup.gif
And yes, everyone here at BYC is VERY helpful! And opinionated! LOL!

My head hen (a golden campine) lays where ever she happens to be when the urge hits her. Last winter she came running out of the run (into the yard) sort of lopsided looking, squatted in the middle of the driveway, laid her egg, and kept on running. It had been 2 days of blizzard, and she was REALLY glad to get out, I guess.

She was the first to lay, and I NEVER know where I'll find her eggs. Most of the time she lays in the corner of the coop next to the waterer, but I always look before stepping into the coop. Like you say, some chickens....

Quote:

Well, it looks like the golf balls trick might have work. My wife checked today and found 1 egg in the nesting area. I'm think they "were" getting used to the place till I had to do some reconstruction on their roof which sorta freaked them out so I might not see any more eggs for a bit. Thanks again for the advice. It's been an expirience.

Back
Top Bottom