Laying eggs in new coop but won’t roost

Vwise507

Songster
Jul 17, 2018
East coast central Florida
B9029CA7-D549-403A-8B35-21169D01BB60.jpeg
0175ADA7-8B3D-4912-A34C-F061E4DDAC6E.jpeg

I just finished building my new coop for my 10 girls. They are 8 months old and have been laying for 3 months. In their old coop some roosted outside of it and others inside but the inside coop roosts were on the floor so they didn’t have to jump up inside. (Cheap tractor supply coop, that although worked great, wasn’t big enough for chicken math hahaha) They have spent 2 nights in the new coop and run, first night they all sleep underneath the coop and I couldn’t get to them to get them out so I left them. Blocked off the underneath of the hen house the next day so they couldn’t go underneath again. Night 2 (last night) it was down pouring here in Florida and I picked everyone up and put her inside the chicken door cuz they were all just soaking wet in the rain and not going inside the coop. They did stay there all night but wouldn’t jump up to the roosts. I tried putting some up on the roosts but they just hopped down immediately to the rest of the flock. The roosts are 3 in wide and rounded on the edges, 23 in above the bedding and 20 in of head space above the roosting bars. While building the coop a few of the girls were hanging out inside with us and jumped up to the roosts no problem. But won’t do it now that we aren’t working in there. They have laid in the nesting boxes no problem so far and 9 of the 10 girls laid in the nesting boxes the first day in the coop and run. So they don’t have a problem getting to the nesting boxes but just don’t want to go into the house at night. Ive read I’m supposed to lock them into the hen house for a few days but that seems like a huge mess for water and food and seems stressful for them. Any other suggestions? Or do I just need to clean it all out in a few days after they have been locked in there? If that’s my only option any suggestions on how to keep the food and water less messy?

I might also add I’m leaving for vacation in a 5 days so I need this to get hopefully figured out before I have someone else caring for them whom can’t catch chickens.

View attachment 1671944 View attachment 1671940

I just finished building my new coop for my 10 girls. They are 8 months old and have been laying for 3 months. In their old coop some roosted outside of it and others inside but the inside coop roosts were on the floor so they didn’t have to jump up inside. (Cheap tractor supply coop, that although worked great, wasn’t big enough for chicken math hahaha) They have spent 2 nights in the new coop and run, first night they all sleep underneath the coop and I couldn’t get to them to get them out so I left them. Blocked off the underneath of the hen house the next day so they couldn’t go underneath again. Night 2 (last night) it was down pouring here in Florida and I picked everyone up and put her inside the chicken door cuz they were all just soaking wet in the rain and not going inside the coop. They did stay there all night but wouldn’t jump up to the roosts. I tried putting some up on the roosts but they just hopped down immediately to the rest of the flock. The roosts are 3 in wide and rounded on the edges, 23 in above the bedding and 20 in of head space above the roosting bars. While building the coop a few of the girls were hanging out inside with us and jumped up to the roosts no problem. But won’t do it now that we aren’t working in there. They have laid in the nesting boxes no problem so far and 9 of the 10 girls laid in the nesting boxes the first day in the coop and run. So they don’t have a problem getting to the nesting boxes but just don’t want to go into the house at night. Ive read I’m supposed to lock them into the hen house for a few days but that seems like a huge mess for water and food and seems stressful for them. Any other suggestions? Or do I just need to clean it all out in a few days after they have been locked in there? If that’s my only option any suggestions on how to keep the food and water less messy?

I might also add I’m leaving for vacation in a 5 days so I need this to get hopefully figured out before I have someone else caring for them whom can’t catch chickens.
Mealworms as a enticement. Works for me.

Ive read I’m supposed to lock them into the hen house for a few days but that seems like a huge mess for water and food and seems stressful for them. Any other suggestions? Or do I just need to clean it all out in a few days after they have been locked in there? If that’s my only option any suggestions on how to keep the food and water less messy?
That's what I would do....tho coop is a bit tight for 10 birds.
Put feed and water up on concrete blocks right by access door.

When you put them on the roosts was it pitch dark out?
That's the best time to move them.
I use a dim head light and keep it pointed up so as not to light their way off the roost.
Hard to do in a 'lean-in' coop.
Can you open just one access door?
Hopefully they want to roost at the wall side ends of roosts, instead of over the nests.

I am glad that I am not the only one who uses Vinyl for the floor! When I move chicks into the big outside coop, I go out there when the adults are heading to bed and force the chicks inside. The chicks then see the other chickens and relax. I do this every night until the chicks go inside on their own. I don't really care where they sleep as long as they are in the coop. Mornings are a little more difficult for me to train them to come out. I just let the adults teach them the way out.

That's what I would do....tho coop is a bit tight for 10 birds.
Put feed and water up on concrete blocks right by access door.

When you put them on the roosts was it pitch dark out?
That's the best time to move them.
I use a dim head light and keep it pointed up so as not to light their way off the roost.
Hard to do in a 'lean-in' coop.
Can you open just one access door?
Hopefully they want to roost at the wall side ends of roosts, instead of over the nests.

You think it’s too small? I did the calculations so it wouldn’t be too small. 3 sq ft per bird, Which is why I put the nesting boxes externally. They actually free range the backyard but I made the run and hen house large enough so that when I’m gone for a weeks vacation they can just stay in that run and house area. I also have mostly medium to small breeds with 1 large breed.

Deff gonna to the block idea, that will help! I did try at night last night, I had a dim flashlight, but put it in the corner facing up so I could see the whole area. Yes I can open just one door, that’s all I did when trying to grab a few, they were all huddled by the chicken door.

I hope so too on roosting location, but it is what it is. This whole coop can be moved when we move in a few years which is part of the reason I didn’t want it sooo huge!

I am glad that I am not the only one who uses Vinyl for the floor! When I move chicks into the big outside coop, I go out there when the adults are heading to bed and force the chicks inside. The chicks then see the other chickens and relax. I do this every night until the chicks go inside on their own. I don't really care where they sleep as long as they are in the coop. Mornings are a little more difficult for me to train them to come out. I just let the adults teach them the way out.

They are all the same age, no one knows what they are doing Hahahaha

Yes! I think vinyl is the best option for Florida, otherwise I think the bedding just gets too much moisture from the wood.

Back
Top Bottom