Laying eggs in the evening. Normal?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
My Jersey Giant has decided to lay her eggs in the evening. I come home and collect eggs from the other girls around 5pm and then go out to get hers between 6 and 6:30pm.

Is this unusual or should I be worried?

My hens always lay their eggs in the evening. Normally around 3-4 PM.

Theres nothing to worry about.
smile.png

I collected early today, about 3pm. Then when I went to check on them and lock up at dusk there was an egg in the dirt in the run! Dont know what that was all about.

A hen takes approximately 25 hours to produce an egg from beginning to end (no pun intended!) so it would stand to reason that eggs would get laid later and later over time, eventually skipping a day (because obviously they don't lay in the dark).

As long as the eggs keep coming, everything is ALRIGHT!
wink.png

I stopped collecting in the morning when I check water. Almost all eggs we get are after 5 PM when water and give treats.

Almost a reliable as the trains, I get my morning egg at 7:30 followed by a jubilant vocal announcement to let me know she has done her job. Either that our she has decided to make as if she is a rooster and decides to do her best imitation of a crow! About 30 minutes after that, I get the second egg of the day. My last seems to lay somewhere between 12 and 4, since I am not around to pin it down, that is the best time span I can calculate.

I have gotten eggs early in the morning and after 5 at night. Since they do get a little later each day and then stop for a day it seems that you might get some later. I think this just might be your hens schedule as long as she is laying and having no issues I think everything is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom