Laying Hens attacked by predator

my french hen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Portland, Oregon
A predator, most likely a raccoon, attacked three of my laying hens. It killed Ms. Fanny Lou, my young Aruacana-Americauna. It slightly injured Ms. Fiona, one of my Speckled Sussexes, and inflicted a large wound on my other Sussex, Ms. Pearlie. Ms. Pearlie's wound is on her left side, under her wing, so it's not exposed to the elements. It was a bloody, ugly mess when first we discovered it but bleeding did not continue. It appears that the predator clawed and/or bit through the skin. We applied Vetricyn initially and are now spraying Betadine a couple of times a day. The wound was inflicted on Saturday, 12.30.17. Ms. Pearlie is alert, her eyes are clear and bright, and she's able to jump up to her nighttime perch with no apparent problem. I have been told and have read that chickens are remarkably resilient when it comes to recovery from injuries without a lot of intervention. We have hesitated to use other sprays due to potential contraindications. We would welcome any suggestions for further treatment, particularly with antibiotics. Have read that Baytril may be a good antibiotic. Our vet does not treat poultry but I'll be calling him tomorrow to see if he will write an antibiotic prescription for poor, sweet Ms. Pearlie. She is otherwise a big, healthy, and lovely girl.

If it is nothing more than a skin laceration, I would continue treatment as indicated. Such wounds heal from 'outside inwards' and take time. This time of year there should be no danger of fly strike so she should do well. Fortify the coop and eliminate the predator. It will return. Good luck.

If it is nothing more than a skin laceration, I would continue treatment as indicated. Such wounds heal from 'outside inwards' and take time. This time of year there should be no danger of fly strike so she should do well. Fortify the coop and eliminate the predator. It will return. Good luck.

Thank you, Sourland, for your thoughtful response. It's a deep laceration but you're right, things do heal from the outside inwards and it will take awhile to see progress. In seven years I've never lost a hen in the coop. I neglected to shut and lock the coop door that night. It only takes one time. I will not let that happen again!

Back
Top Bottom