Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
Thanks. I was gong to let her out today but the fluid had increased again. I'm just nervous about it, since originally I found her lying on the barn floor, after being assaulted by a roo...she had more fluid then, but I thought she was dying when I found her. I rescued her, put her in hospital, we drained her twice, and she's been in hospital ever since. I just thought that if I could get rid of ALL the fluid, then maybe she'd be better off.....but I probably will just let her go. Just trying to get up the nerve. That's the problem when you care for sick ones...you get too attached...

Aww I completely understand.
Your other option is to get her a new companion so that she's not alone.
If you're not 100% comfortable with letting her free range I would go with option B, because if something happens and she is ill or you find her collapsed again you'll be very upset.

If you're doubting it I think it's probably not her time To go back to the flock yet and so maybe give yourself and miss Bitsy a little bit more time till you feel it's right.

Xxx

Well, I decided to let her go this morning. As soon as she was free, a couple of roos started chasing her, with me chasing THEM trying to save her. But no worries...Captain, our alpha roo, got involved. He stepped into the path of the pursuing roos, and they jammed on the brakes. Then he took Bitsy under his wing...literally! He didn't try to molest her himself either...just let her hang out with him and his hens for the rest of the day, lol! And tonight at dinner he did the same thing. So she has him for a protector, at least when he's around, and she seemed so happy today. She's linked up with her old friends, and I decided I'm not going to to pick her up for a week, unless it's obvious she's having a problem. Since we never resolved the original problem (at least not that I know of) that caused the Ascites to begin with, I know she probably has a limited time on this Earth anyway...but she might as well enjoy, while she can. :)

Thank you, he is a star, he knows he's king.
big_smile.png
Day 2 and she still looks fine.

Hello all, I thought I would add to this post rather than start another. Hopefully that is okay protocol. I have a hen who has stopped laying, has a bulge below her vent, and acts like she NEEDS to lay every day, but never does. I looked at the previous photos on this thread, and while she is not nearly as swollen as the white feathered chicken, I still suspect ascites. So my question is, does the pressure make them think they want to lay? I'm trying to understand this daily nesting box behaviour, and possibly make her more comfortable if she is in pain. I don't think she is going broody as she simply acts like she desperately needs to use the nest box, sits there for an hour or so every day, and then goes about her day.

The other important piece of info is that I 'think' she laid a lash egg about a month ago ( bad news, I know). Hard to know for certain but my other girls are all laying so I am guessing it was her.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Kristina

Heya
Could you possibly give her age and breed ? Has she laid and stopped etc.
As much info as possible, colouring of comb etc.

My hen has been meds for almost 2 months and such a difference. Don't despair.

Best wishes xx

Back
Top Bottom