Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
I am currently working on draining fluid from my hen with an 18 gauge needle. Is there any risk of hitting organs? I am trying to stay below her vent about 1 to 2 inches, and then a few inches below and to the sides of her vent. When I put the needle in one time, I feel like I hit bone or an egg, so now I'm super worried that I may have hurt her, and I've stopped for now. Also, the fluid today has been super cloudy and a brownish/red color, where as yesterday when my friend was draining her, the fluid looked more like urine. She's outside though, running around like normal (after being inside for a couple of days. I'll bring her back in shortly to rest)

So, I have stopped for now. How do I make sure I don't hit any organs?

I wouldn't think that she would have needed to be drained only a day after first doing it. There may not be much fluid left. I haven't drained one before, but I believe you just barely puncture the skin where it is most full with no bones or tissue beneath the skin. Others on here, such as Casportpony have posted some threads and instructions about ascites if you want to do a search at the top of this page.

Last edited:
Thank you for the links! Last night we didn't drain all the fluid, only about 40 ml. Tonight, it did seem she filled up some more with fluid too. I drained another 40 ml, but I'm super worried. Last night the fluid was yellow. Today it's brown. Did I rupture something?

She's acting normal, and not as bloated as some I have seen, so I'm done for now. I ordered Milk Thistle that will be here Monday (though I think I'm going to go buy some tomorrow to get her started). I really hope I didn't hurt her by rupturing something with the needle!!! :(

Eggcessive is right, you should just barely have to puncture the skin. I don't know, I don't think I would be trying to drain her so often. Not sure what brown stuff means, might be bleeding, or who knows. If she were mine I'd wait til she's really full of fluid before draining.

I doubt that she could have developed an infection from a dirty needle, but yes it's always good to take precautions. We usually did give an antibiotic...one day before, and two days after..but I don't think it's really necessary.

I had to drain Kohl again.... Really sad...
The first time we drained her the liquid was just slightly colored,
I'm more worried this time... The liquid color was like an egg yolk.
I'm not sure where to go from here, we took about 10 oz out of her...
She seems happy otherwise...
I think she's the one who's been laying quail size eggs...
I"ve gotten about 6 quail size eggs over the last two weeks...

Any ideas, or suggestions...

We're going to keep her indoors a day or two,
I gave her a dose of doxycycline since it was the only antibiotic I have around.
She's also not dripping as much as the last time we drained her...
That time the litter in the "hospital" was all wet within an hour... this time it's not.

Thanks
I didn't stop to smell it...
and I bought clean needles.. one of the sites I looked at previously scared me out of reusing needles.
The quail size eggs really throw me though... She was my best layer... even when she was sick, she would
be the one laying eggs... Is there a way to stop her from laying so she gets better? she did not lay in the "chicken Hospital"
But I can't keep her inside forever.... and with the change of season, her sisters have started laying better.

Wait to drain chicken when you feel a belly like a small water balloon. Should be no more than once a month or two months. When it's big enough you can feel an area that it's soft and stretched from the fluid that's about right time. I putt needle in soft fluid area to left off vent down on side of belly. . Just put needle in 1/4_1/2 inch into fluidly area. Avoid surface veins. I will post pic next time I do it . I'm away from home now. You can post pic of your hen and where you are planning too drain her and we can help by the pic.

Okay, we just tried to drain our chicken who has the same symptoms, and nothing really came out. Just a couple drops. Really swollen abdomen, and trouble breathing. Poor girl.

We used a needle though, and not a syringe. Working on getting one now. Any advice?

my picachu has a swollen belly, I have drained some of the fluid and her tail is now back in a up postion. she is still leaking a few hours later is that normal? we took about half out before I read this thread and I have no one to help me drain her until tomorrow. she has ate 2 turkey scrambled eggs. no dinking but staying in one spot

my picachu has a swollen belly, I have drained some of the fluid and her tail is now back in a up postion. she is still leaking a few hours later is that normal? we took about half out before I read this thread and I have no one to help me drain her until tomorrow. she has ate 2 turkey scrambled eggs. no dinking but staying in one spot

From what I've read, it is normal to still be leaking. Our hen hasn't been leaking much, and her tail hasn't gone up. What are you using to drain your her? A needle or syringe?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom