Laying in barn, not coop

rabtfarm

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Ok we had a pretty good fall-early winter egg laying, in coop but always in one nest* with 6 hens, so they had to take turns. Winter now here in Maine and we do let the chickens free range (little snow to date, hasn't been too cold). One hen has now decided to lay eggs in the horse barn up in the hayloft. I caught her three times nosing around the barn and have been putting her back in the coop...but she persisted and laid her egg again in the loft. Are we talking hen(s) confined to quarters here?
* apparently the other three nests didn't cut it.

Some hens like to find their own nesting spot. They will continue to return to the same spot unless they are prevented from doing so. If you really don't want her laying outside the coop lock her in for a week or so. I have a pullet who decided to lay in the hay barn. I didn't stop her since I know where she is laying. Now I have a broody hen in the hay barn.

Are we talking hen(s) confined to quarters here?
* apparently the other three nests didn't cut it.
Yep!
One fake egg in each nest should help 'spread the love'.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

She’s just looking for a safe place to lay and found it. Encourage her to lay elsewhere by placing fake eggs in a nest box. When she sees that another hen has laid there she will know it’s safe for her to do the same. If she continues to lay in the barn, just block it off. That sounds like a hard-to-reach place and you don’t want to climb for her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom