Laying in winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anny, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    My hens have not laid a single egg in a couple weeks now I know they slow down in the winter but is it normal for them to STOP all together??

(one hen is molting but I Think she is almost done.)

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, completely normal. They are recharging for the big egg hatching push in spring.

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    when will they normally start laying again? Do I have to wait tell feb or march?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your guess is as good as mine. It can be a couple weeks or a couple months. Each hen is different. It is not something you can predict.

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    My hens have continued laying regularly, although for some reason or another, some will skip a day, or two.

I feed them a "warm breakfast" every day, during the colder weather. I had a friend tell me that is the way to keep them laying all winter. So far it seems to work.[​IMG] I also have a light on a timer that gives them the required amount of light, to stimulate them to lay.

They have layed for 8 months now, and don't look any the worse for wear.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Absolutely normal. I had to buy a dozen eggs thanks to my lazy hens [​IMG]

7. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    It depends on the breed.

My red stars lay all winter long.

My Black Austrolarps slowed way down but I just added more daylight by setting a light on a timer. They really need about 14 hours of light to keep them laying good.

Michael

8. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I do not get as many eggs in winter, but from my 12 hens I am still getting 2-3 large eggs a day from my turkens and 1 every other day or so from my bantam cochins. I figure about March they'll jump into high gear, and I'll be fighting the cochins to keep them all from staying broody!

9. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Quote:Do you provide heat or lighting?

10. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    we are getting 8-10 a day ........ 24 hens and 1 roo....... they just started laying a couple weeks ago ........... hatched june 2 .............. we do have a light on a timer in the coop

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by