Laying in winter

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
My hens have not laid a single egg in a couple weeks now I know they slow down in the winter but is it normal for them to STOP all together??

(one hen is molting but I Think she is almost done.)

Your guess is as good as mine. It can be a couple weeks or a couple months. Each hen is different. It is not something you can predict.

My hens have continued laying regularly, although for some reason or another, some will skip a day, or two.

I feed them a "warm breakfast" every day, during the colder weather. I had a friend tell me that is the way to keep them laying all winter. So far it seems to work.
smile.png
I also have a light on a timer that gives them the required amount of light, to stimulate them to lay.

They have layed for 8 months now, and don't look any the worse for wear.

Last edited:
It depends on the breed.

My red stars lay all winter long.

My Black Austrolarps slowed way down but I just added more daylight by setting a light on a timer. They really need about 14 hours of light to keep them laying good.

Michael

I do not get as many eggs in winter, but from my 12 hens I am still getting 2-3 large eggs a day from my turkens and 1 every other day or so from my bantam cochins. I figure about March they'll jump into high gear, and I'll be fighting the cochins to keep them all from staying broody!

we are getting 8-10 a day ........ 24 hens and 1 roo....... they just started laying a couple weeks ago ........... hatched june 2 .............. we do have a light on a timer in the coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom