laying location

CooCooCoo

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
If a new-to-laying hen is laying in places other than a nesting box (resulting in broken eggs), will she figure it out eventually?
Also, I have noticed that when one of my novice egg layers comes into laying, one of the 'experienced' hens guide her into the nesting box the first couple of times; as if to say, "here is where we lay our eggs". Has anyone else noticed this midwifing behavior in their hens?

I will make sure the fresh eggs are laid in the nesting boxes for the rest of the day. If there is one not in the nesting box, I will put it in the nesting box. This seems to work for me.

If a new-to-laying hen is laying in places other than a nesting box (resulting in broken eggs), will she figure it out eventually?
Also, I have noticed that when one of my novice egg layers comes into laying, one of the 'experienced' hens guide her into the nesting box the first couple of times; as if to say, "here is where we lay our eggs". Has anyone else noticed this midwifing behavior in their hens?
My roo or cockerel show the new ladies where to lay and my hen has also helped the pullets. I have had new layers drop an egg while roosting but only their first egg then laid in the nest box. Maybe your new layer will figure it out, you said you have balls in the boxes so that's good. Does she get bullied away from the nest boxes? How many boxes have you got / how many hens? I have 3 boxes for 5 hens in 1 coop. But I think you only need 1 for 3 hens is the standard. All of mine seem to be occupied at the same time...
IMG20201022121207.jpg

She may or may not figure it out on her own - doesn't hurt to give her some time to try and figure things out, but if she doesn't in a couple of weeks, I would intervene if possible.

I've never had hens try and teach the youngsters where to lay (usually they harass them instead).

Back
Top Bottom