Laying Pattern of chukar hens

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pascopol, Jul 26, 2010.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Do they lay every second day, or a clutch then brake, or is there any pattern? According to the sources a chukar hen can lay 50 eggs or more in a season. That comes to average 1 egg in 3 to 4 days assuming 6 months hatching season

I am trying to estimate how many females I need to keep to be able to hatch about 30-40 eggs at a time.

Assuming hatching eggs stored no more than a week how many hens do I need to accumulate 30-40 hatchable eggs?

2. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We would get about 5 eggs per hen each week for a couple months during peak breeding season.

Because I did not want a smaller batch of chukars each week- we would collect eggs for almost 3 weeks before starting incubation. That way we had a few large hatches. We stored our eggs in a cool place and would turn them every couple days.

we would usually get over a 75% hatch

[​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    This is a generalization, and experiences may differ . . .

Chukar eggs have the best hatchability when they are at least 2 weeks old, up to the 3rd week.
    They also do best when stored around 50(the guy I get em from does 42) and are NOT turned during storage.

Ill go copy this exact info from an earlier post in a similar thread, taken from UCDavis pdf dealing specifically with chukar.

My last batch of eggs was about 3 weeks old and refrigerated at 42 degrees, 127/150 hatched a few days ago(which, is exactly 84.6%, the breeder told me to expect 85% from his eggs).

Edit-
    K, heres the chart that shows what I just said . . .

Quote:
    The entire PDF from UCDavis . . . http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/21321e.pdf

Also
    found more info on egg production, may help out . . .
    Scroll down to pages 9 and 10, I cant get it to copy/paste right.
    Looks like to me, you could get an egg a day from them in artificial conditions, dunno if thats what your planning or not . . .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. jjchick

jjchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec,Canada
    Hi, I am close to the northern New England area and was wondering how long my chukar hens should lay. The seem to be slowing down right now. Should I expect them to start up again.

5. jjchick

jjchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec,Canada
    Anyone???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by