1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying Purple Eggs?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Red Barn Farms, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    A facebook friend asked this question and I want to present it to everyone here. I'm very curious myself to hear the answer.

Here is the original comment:

i have alot to learn and i get that put in my face nearly every day. stumped . a gentleman asked me what kind of chicken lays purple eggs. he said he seen the eggs but didn't know what breed laid them one of those thoughts that repeatedly come to mind randomly. mostly for me since that is my favorite color. so if any of my fb friends knows please share so i can go on to next vit (very important thought) thanks

2. holyhart

holyhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    New Hampshire
    A Chilean Tinamou is a chicken-like bird that lays a dark (and very shiny) purple egg. They are not actually a chicken though, but some people do keep them as part of their backyard flock.

A Marans egg with the bloom still on it can appear purple as well, when wet it will look brown again, then purple when dried.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Chilean Tinamou..... cute. Looks like a guina/chicken... or a gicken..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Thanks for the fast replies! Some one just pointed out in the Facebook page an English Croad Langshan lays a purplish egg!! I just searched them and they are beautiful chickens but as also pointed out almost impossible to find in the USA. Anyone have them? I want about 6 of these chickens, LOL!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croad_Langshan

1 person likes this.
  5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Oh, I'd love purple in my basket!

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Someone saw my pic of a Marans egg and said it was red (he also asked if it was a dragon egg - no he's not even a kid!), so I guess perception changes the colour too.

7. Alfreso Larios

Alfreso Larios Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2014
    LMAO your right perception smells like preparation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by