Laying? Really?

seashoreduck

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
I'm in New England where we've been dealing with zero, near zero and sub-zero temps.

Chickens are fat and happy.

Today, when I went out to feed them I found eggs. I don't mess around with their coop in this cold and realized they've been laying for at least a couple days.

Eggs were frozen and cracked.

I have a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock.

I was told they'd stop late fall (They did and molted around November) and wouldn't start again until it got lighter and warmer outside...like March.

They have no supplemental light or heat lamps. Plenty of food, treats and a nice heated water bowl, though. And they look fatter than ever.

Days are starting to get longer, so not surprised they're laying. A fat hen is NOT a healthy hen though...so watch those treats.
I think the "fat" is mostly feathers, especially on the RIR. She's incredibly poofy.

I was just happy because she looked so TERRIBLE molting. I had ducks for many years before I got these chickens and they never ever looked as bad as a molting chicken.

I check for eggs twice a day even though I haven't gotten one since last month, just in case. No one explains to chickens when they should and shouldn't lay. :)

I have to say, this is my first chicken venture. The ducks were a bit more "reliable" season after season and they didn't make me worry about frozen eggs!

How old are your birds? Mine are 8 months and still getting around 14 eggs from 18 birds. I'm a little further south that you though. Today was only 10 eggs. I'm guessing the weather change finally hit. We are dipping into the 30s. Brrr!

If your birds are less than a year, they could keep laying. I read that on the internet!

How old are your birds? Mine are 8 months and still getting around 14 eggs from 18 birds. I'm a little further south that you though. Today was only 10 eggs. I'm guessing the weather change finally hit. We are dipping into the 30s. Brrr!

If your birds are less than a year, they could keep laying. I read that on the internet!

They will be a year Jan 20. I have 2.

Our temps have been ludicrously low. Nights going down to -8 and days that don't hit the double digits. Will be this way for a week or more.

They stopped laying in November when they molted....which was what I expected given the ducks. But now they have started and I'm like "guys, really?"

I really, really don't want to get out there by 10am every day.

Back
Top Bottom