Laying stopped...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have a pen with 6 EEs, 1 BO and 1 BOx. I have another pen with BRs, RIRs, GSL, and BSL. The EE pen has stopped laying almost completely. The other pen, the chickens are laying.

Now, I had to treat the EE pen for coccidia almost three weeks ago. They were laying okay, if a bit less than the other pen. I had some bulbs go out in the coop and replaced them. I live up in Montana where, yes, we do get very little light this time of year. [​IMG] I do keep a light on at night.

So, my question to you: lack of light? Coccidia treatment? Molting? What? Why have my birds stopped laying in one pen? Added: They were born in February and April.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It is that time of year, the days are getting noticeably shorter and some may be molting. Mine all but quite about 2-weeks ago. Funny thing is, my girls last year stopped in early fall and then started laying every day when it was the dead of winter and -20˚ out, with no extra light either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by