Laying throughout the day .... normal?

skhomer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Homer, Georgia
We've got at least 4 birds laying, and we're getting eggs throughout the day. Is there any way to get them to all lay in the morning? I worry about the temperatures in the heat of the day and whether the eggs are still okay to eat ....

It's normal for them to lay at different times of the day. Each hen's internal laying clock is different. Plus, it takes approx. 25 hours for her to develop an egg and lay it, so the time each hen lays varies day to day.

All mine have a 24+ hour laying cycle, meaning they lay later every day, until the last day of the cycle when they as late as 5pm, and then they skip the next day, and start all over again the day after, early in the morning. I've seen people say that they have a chicken(s) who lay the same time every day, never missing a day, but mine aren't like that at all.

LOL! I sure identify with that! I have 7 - and they spread the laying over the entire day. One day they had all laid by 2:00, and it was wonderful. Usually, though, three or four will lay by 10ish in the morning - and then the others spread out over the afternoon. So I get my exercise checking the nest boxes regularly. LOL!

Quote:
x3! My one hen has roughly a 26 hour pattern. The second one is still a free loader.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom