Laying throughout the day .... normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skhomer, Sep 6, 2011.

1. skhomer

skhomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Homer, Georgia
    We've got at least 4 birds laying, and we're getting eggs throughout the day. Is there any way to get them to all lay in the morning? I worry about the temperatures in the heat of the day and whether the eggs are still okay to eat ....

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's normal for them to lay at different times of the day. Each hen's internal laying clock is different. Plus, it takes approx. 25 hours for her to develop an egg and lay it, so the time each hen lays varies day to day.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Yup X-2 same here....

4. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    My birds all have their own laying time. Luna usually lays late while Pippy and Comet lay earlier.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    All mine have a 24+ hour laying cycle, meaning they lay later every day, until the last day of the cycle when they as late as 5pm, and then they skip the next day, and start all over again the day after, early in the morning. I've seen people say that they have a chicken(s) who lay the same time every day, never missing a day, but mine aren't like that at all.

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    LOL! I sure identify with that! I have 7 - and they spread the laying over the entire day. One day they had all laid by 2:00, and it was wonderful. Usually, though, three or four will lay by 10ish in the morning - and then the others spread out over the afternoon. So I get my exercise checking the nest boxes regularly. LOL!

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:X2 exactly right

8. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    :jumpyTHE heat aint a problem the egg comes out about 107 F "

9. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:x3! My one hen has roughly a 26 hour pattern. The second one is still a free loader. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by