Laying time frame??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick_newbie, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am not a complete newbie anymore but expanded my flock this May and added Speckled Sussex pullets. They are 5+ months now and still no eggs from them. I also have an older one, born in March according to the 4H poultry sale that was laying when we got her but hasn't laid since about a week after getting her. There is a rooster in with them of about the same age.

My other coop is of all mixed kinds of hens and I know that they are going through moult right now and I only get about 1 to 2 eggs a day but that is from the Cinnamon Queens that I also got back in May.

Should they be on starter feed or layer since they aren't laying yet?? Does the crushed red pepper that I read about really work?? Wow I really wish my Grandma who raised chickens for so many years was here to ask the questions to!!

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    At 5 months I would say layer feed.

As for eggs i have 6 different breeds. 1 of the breeds was laying at 4and a half months, most started laying closer to 6 months. I have 1 ee that just started last week at almost 9 months old.
    When they are ready they will lay.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yes, but it is so hard to wait...
    My RIR was born before Easter, still no eggs. UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by