Laying w/ not enough daylight = problems?

BigSkyChickens

Free Bird
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Pleasant Hill, CA
My basic question is: Will chickens lay during 9-10 hr. days, and if so, is this bad for them?

My girls stoppped laying in September when the days turned less than 12 hrs., but my Buff Cochin started laying again late October when the days were just less than 11 hrs. long. (no supplemental light)

Buffy the Bug Slayer died on Sunday, and while I was unable to send her to UCD for testing, I'm guessing it was a heart attack or an egg-laying issue. She was fine at 7 a.m. when I took out the feed, and then dead in the corner of the run by 9 a.m.

Buffy had an awesome life. I'm grateful that the first chicken death I've experienced was a peaceful and tidy. Her feathers were still so soft, and she was still looking rather adorable. I wrapped her in a pretty Turkish scarf and put her in the deep chicken hole that DBF lovingly dug.
26963_october_2009_050.jpg

RIP Buffster!
smile.png
We will miss your quiet dignity and superb bug-slaying abilities!

not all hens will stop, often they will just slow down during the winter. and it is not bad for them.

sorry you lost buffy

imp

I wouldn't think that laying eggs during short days would be "bad for a chicken", but they do tend to lay less frequently during the shorter days. So if you have hens that lay every day in the summer, they may lay every other day when the days or shorter.

I'm sorry for your loss of Buffy the Bug Slayer, she looks like she had an ATTITUDE!
sad.png
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree. Sorry for your loss. I don't see how doing what comes naturally to a chicken could be bad for them.

Thanks, everyone, for kind words about Buff. She was laying 6-7 days in a row after she started laying again in October. Seems like she shoulda slowed down some with less daylight.....

I love BYC! It helps tremendously to know I'm not alone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom