Laying yet?

The-White-Elephant

Philippians 4:13
Nov 3, 2021
NC
Hello all! Hope you all had a good day so far. Here’s my question: I have 3, 9 month old Cochins. I wanted to know if they are laying yet. One of them has a really red comb, reddest from all the flock. I know that can indicate it’s laying, or it’s about to. What makes me want to ask this even more, is that I got a smaller egg than usual (pics below. The speckled one is the smaller one). Thanks in advance to all who help. All and any advice is welcome!

Thanks to @cluckmecoop7 for helping me Make this thread!

This is the Cochin that has the reddest comb. If anyone wants pics of the other ones, do let me know. Thank you :)

Attachments

• 927D3B72-418D-4B68-8402-66EF134BCC20.jpeg
    927D3B72-418D-4B68-8402-66EF134BCC20.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BFE959F8-1343-4222-888A-1382EF4238D0.jpeg
    BFE959F8-1343-4222-888A-1382EF4238D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • F3038E0B-A17F-4515-8B04-029A57208C87.jpeg
    F3038E0B-A17F-4515-8B04-029A57208C87.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 1
She does look nice and red. Check her pelvic gap. If the two pointy bones are close together then she still has a way to go. If it measures two fingers or more then she is really close. Your gonna have to get friendly, maybe exchange phone numbers or something, buy her a glass of warm mash.

Two other things to remember:
1. It IS winter. Many breeds slow down or even stop laying in winter. Winter can also postpone a pullet’s Point of Lay. In January the days are getting longer. This will help as we move towards Spring.
2. A watched pot never boils; a watched pullet never lays. No matter what people tell you to do or check she will start laying when her body is ready and not before. Same with young women humans. They become women at the right time for their bodies. Chickens: age 16 to 33 weeks, humans age 9 to 16 years. Yes, there are averages. Also, numbers based on breeds.

Look for reddening comb, wider pelvic gap, crouching for you or roosters, checking out nesting boxes. Otherwise it’s all about p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

When it finally happens be sure to share here. We will celebrate with you! (Cuz your other friends won’t understand.)

1643047810419.jpg

She does look nice and red. Check her pelvic gap. If the two pointy bones are close together then she still has a way to go. If it measures two fingers or more then she is really close. Your gonna have to get friendly, maybe exchange phone numbers or something, buy her a glass of warm mash.

1. It IS winter. Many breeds slow down or even stop laying in winter. Winter can also postpone a pullet’s Point of Lay. In January the days are getting longer. This will help as we move towards Spring.
2. A watched pot never boils; a watched pullet never lays. No matter what people tell you to do or check she will start laying when her body is ready and not before. Same with young women humans. They become women at the right time for their bodies. Chickens: age 16 to 33 weeks, humans age 9 to 16 years. Yes, there are averages. Also, numbers based on breeds.

Look for reddening comb, wider pelvic gap, crouching for you or roosters, checking out nesting boxes. Otherwise it’s all about p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

When it finally happens be sure to share here. We will celebrate with you! (Cuz your other friends won’t understand.)

View attachment 2971081
Ok, thanks so much! I read the article, and I did read this Part: If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up

I did try that, how am I supposed to know if they “hunker down” enough?

View attachment 2971081

Fabulous graphic!

Back
Top Bottom