Lazy Black Australorps!!!

SlaveJud

Chirping
Mar 29, 2019
My BA are from Meyers hatchery. They hatched on September 19. They are 23-24 weeks old. They still haven’t started laying. When I ordered them, I was told they was supposed to start at 16 weeks.
I have contacted the hatchery. I have checked the souls of the feet and they are white. The girls weigh about 4-5 pounds each. The pelvic bone is about fist wide - large boned female hand. They eat locally grown fresh ground layer feed. They are in a coop and run because I have free ranged black bears.
I am going to increase feed because they are in the light side. But any advice is appreciated. I am just about ready to process them and cut my losses!

Australorps don't start laying at 16 weeks, that's way too young for any breed, who told you that?
22-26 weeks is the average age to begin laying. Especially since they're late season chicks, they're waiting for spring and increased daylight, it may be closer to 30. It's still too dark in most places. Just be patient.
How much protein does the feed have? Sometimes more protein will help already Pol pellets lay. Are their combs and wattles big and red?

Australorps don't start laying at 16 weeks, that's way too young for any breed, who told you that?
22-26 weeks is the average age to begin laying. Especially since they're late season chicks, they're waiting for spring and increased daylight, it may be closer to 30. It's still too dark in most places. Just be patient.
How much protein does the feed have? Sometimes more protein will help already Pol pellets lay. Are their combs and wattles big and red?
Oh. This too.

Oh. This too.
The hatchery told me their line started at 16 weeks. I had several breeds pick out to match my existing flock - BJG and HRIR half breeds. I wanted to add better egg numbers without loosing to much meat production. I think I should have purchased the black sex link instead…
Standard 18 - 20% protein - a handful scratch mix at night to keep them busy while I tend the coop.

The hatchery told me their line started at 16 weeks. I had several breeds pick out to match my existing flock - BJG and HRIR half breeds. I wanted to add better egg numbers without loosing to much meat production. I think I should have purchased the black sex link instead…
Standard 18 - 20% protein - a handful scratch mix at night to keep them busy while I tend the coop.
The combs and waddles are quite small compared to my other girls. But my girls have very large combs and most people think they are Roos so I don’t have a fair comparison.

Sounds good, just be patient. :) sex links tend to konk out from reproductive issues fairly quickly so I honestly don't bother with them.

Back
Top Bottom