Lazy chickens? They won't leave coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by swtamour, Apr 24, 2009.

1. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I have three RIR who are about 9-10 weeks old. They sit in the coop all day and won't go outside. I've tried tricking them with treats but they'll just go outside to eat it and go back into the coop. I saw one of the chick eating a worm in the yard but they still don't care to be outside. They're outside maybe for 30 minutes total in the last 5 days. I'm not concern about the feed cost but I want them to get exercise and be happy. Should I just wait until they decide when to go out? Thanks.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Could something have traumatized them? That could be a reason for staying inside.

If not, put them outside & close off the coop for the day until they stop trying to get in.

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    When mine are out they prefer to be in the shade...is their run shaded?

4. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    When they are out in my backyard, they sit mostly under the small trees and bushes. No runs, just my backyard. I'm guessing it's the barking from my neighbor's dog that's scaring them. Hopefully they'll realize soon that it's safe, only noise.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm thinking they are too hot. I would recommend building a run or some time of shelter in front of the coop so that there is some shade. Doesn't have to be closed off as long as it provides shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by