Lazy ducks

ducktales1815

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
Hi! I got two cayuga and one Welsh Harlequin that are about 8 weeks old. The primary reason I jumped into this world was that from everything I have read, they are great foragers. I was hoping they would help in my garden that has an abundance of grass, chickweed and bugs. So far, they are not. Should I be doing something to encourage them to forage more? I dropped their feed, but I don't want to starve them. My kids and I go out and pick the chickweed and feed it to them, hoping they'll get the hint, but it hasn't worked so far. Any thoughts. TIA!

Thank you! I suspected that might be the case. It's hard to remember they're still babies when they are that big.

Keep showing them the ropes, keep plenty of feed and water with them now while they are developing. My Runners now eat lots of slugs and larvae and vegetation. Their first year I brought it to them. They need to be shown what to eat. I wish I had given them a wider variety of foods when they were younger. They don't like red food for the most part. When they were little I gave them peas and lettuce, finely chopped.

Back
Top Bottom