lazy newborns- normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eeyore75, Jul 30, 2011.

1. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    My friend normally hatches our eggs for us- I am hatching them out for the first time. I'm not sure if this is normal or I should be worried.

I have had both of my D'Unccles hatch out- they ran all over like crazy monkeys right away.

However I've had 2 of my Tolbunt Polish hatch out tonight- and they are just laying there, they move a little and then lay there again for a while. They seem so letargic- is this normal? Will they act ok in the morning? One them hatched out about 5 hours ago, the other just did.

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    sounds normal to me. :)

3. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    I had the same worries a few weeks ago. My first batch of chicks of were already over a week old when I got them and they very very active so I assumed they were all like this from the get-go. But in the latest batch I got a few weeks ago, some were only a day or two old. They laid around. A lot. With their necks stretched out and wings open. I'd have to poke 'em sometimes to make sure they were still in this world. Then gradually they've started getting a little more hyper every day. Occasionally they still lay around but for the most part they're just nuts. I think, most of the newborns are just like that but maybe someone else could answer about your specific breeds. Good luck, things are probably A-OK [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Very normal. They worked hard getting out of that shell and need to nap for a couple days. They absorb the yolk for nutrition for about 3 days, so no need to worry about them not eating.

5. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    Thank you- those two are toddling around now, the 2 new ones are like they were ysterday- bunch more pipped eggs. Well see if Silkies act like Polish or D'Unccles when they hatch!!!

6. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Quote:Yeah, congrats on the new chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by