Lazy Peachick

hugs.gif
And things were just getting quite at your place, , i hope the outcome is a good one from your vet visit and you do not have to keep going threw this
hugs.gif
I hope so
fl.gif
Thank you.

Also, a veterinarian who treats dogs and cats can usually (at least here in the U.S.) run fecal samples, either in-house or they have a lab that they send the samples out to, for processing.

It will not harm the bird to medicate for coccidia and worms, even if he turns out not to have them. If you can send a photo of poo (yes, it's gross), @casportpony will surely want to comment on it... In the meantime, you can look to see whether it looks normal or not. She has just started a whole thread of poo pictures. If your vet will run fecals, take the freshest sample that you can obtain.

The reason to see whether it is normal or abnormal looking is because both worms and coccidia damage the bird's intestinal tract, which eventually makes the bird ill, and may, when severe enough, show up as visibly abnormal poo. But it may not look bad when the bird is first becoming visibly ill, as yours is, which is why the vets run fecals with microscopes and other technology.

Here is the link to the poo thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941731/peafowl-poop-normal-and-abnormal-lots-of-poop-pictures
I have seen that thread, but i haven't seen their poop yet, usually when you hold them they will poop directly, but when you want them to do, they will not, i have treat for coccidia, also have vitamins and one of these that Kathy suggests me to get in the past, not sure which one it was
hide.gif

Q8,

They are terribly susceptible to cocci when they are young and they basically just look droopy winged and lethargic like that. It's very serious!!!!

It could be anything, but he needs treated quickly.
I'm getting scared more and more LOL, i will start treating them for coccidia now, by the way, they are two who looks lethargic, i just start treating today with this calcium powder, one looks a little better now.

I'm sure this one will not help
hide.gif
That is not normal poo on them butt feathers,
hmm.png

Not that this has anything to do with an illness but
I edited my earlier post and asked do they have access to the sun to soak up some UV rays? folks sometimes forget that all birds need a bit of sun in their life just like people do .

I have seen that thread, but i haven't seen their poop yet, usually when you hold them they will poop directly, but when you want them to do, they will not, i have treat for coccidia, also have vitamins and one of these that Kathy suggests me to get in the past, not sure which one it was
hide.gif

Okay, that last one, enrofloxacin, is an antibiotic, and an absolutely excellent one... I bet that's the one that Kathy said to get. The first one is Vitamin E, which is a dietary supplement, not likely to be needed here.

To treat coccidia, many folks begin with amprolium. That is sold here commercially as Corid or under other trade names. I am using a water soluble powder and delivering it through the water container. Here is a photo of the bag:

For worms, I am using Safeguard (fenbendazole), because it is more effective than ivermectin. I have a liquid version that is made for worming goats. I find it easiest to put it on (into) pieces of bread in the correct dosage for the bird, other people mix it in mash or give it directly to the bird. Here is a photo of the bottle:

I'm getting scared more and more LOL, i will start treating them for coccidia now, by the way, they are two who looks lethargic, i just start treating today with this calcium powder, one looks a little better now.

hmm.png

I edited my earlier post and asked do they have access to the sun to soak up some UV rays? folks sometimes forget that all birds need a bit of sun in their life just like people do .

I'm sorry, I did not mean to alarm you, but I do think quick action is necessary. I agree with Zaz, that residue on the feathers does not look typical, and may indicate the bird is having abnormal stools.

I also think it is important that you worm right away. Don't just treat for coccidia. Do you have a good wormer on hand?

In terms of the coccidia treatment, I would give the higher "outbreak" dose. It will not harm them. If you need help figuring dosages, let us know.

hmm.png

They were outside, but there pen is 75% covered with plastic to protect them from wind and cold, the plastic is diaphanous.

Quote:
I don't have wormer right now, its almost 2 moths now since last time i wormed them, i have another treat for coccidia, and just put it in their water, it comes with heaped measure, it said add one to 2 liters of water, i guess i will add these antibiotics too, i will try to worm them tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom