Lazy Peachick

@rbaker0345 , after a thorough worming for whatever worm egg is found, how many days before one can expect to see no eggs? For example, float finds capillary eggs, bird is treated for five days with proper amount of Safeguard, then another fecal is done on day six or seven and still eggs... not as many, but they are still there.

-Kathy
That is a good question, eggs should be all gone by the end of five days- especially since the standard dosing of fenbendazole is three days. I might suspect resistance and I would rotate onto something else like pyrantel or prazi/moxi. I will ask my boss though.

Can you tell us what is an appropriate dose of the sulfadimethoxine? I have the powder (not home now or I would include a photo of bag) I was about to mix some up earlier for my peas. bag says it makes 50 gallons and to use 0.05% solution for chickens, 0.025% for turkeys. No clue on bag for measuring meds by volume (teaspoons, etc.) So I guess I am going to have to weigh it out.

This pic wouldn't alarm me at all. Black feces i.e digested blood from small intestine, pancreatic or stomach/crop bleeding would be blacker, greasier looking. This looks like poop from a bird that's been eating insects, dirt and plant matter. A well-hydrated bird for that matter. And black/bloody poo smells horrible, I can't describe the smell but it doesn't smell like poo. Poo smell I have a resistance to, black/digested bloody poo is something that will give me pause every time I smell it.

Kathy, is this yours? Awesome pic of lesions on liver and cecum.
My pictures. Whole story here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-probable-blackhead-five-miles-from-my-place

First post from that thread:
Note: This is not my bird, it's one I sold two months ago and it was one that was raised indoors and off the ground, it was healthy and parasite/protozoa free when it left here.

Got a call yesterday from someone that I sold two young peacocks to two months ago saying that both were looking sick a few days ago. I told him I would come get the dead one and the one still alive and try to save it, but it died four hours after I brought it home.

Symptoms:
  • Depressed
  • Dropped wings
  • Not eating
  • Weak
  • Thin
  • Yellow liquid poop
  • Dark green cecal poop with blood

Here he is looking very stoic three hours before he died. You can't tell from the picture, but he's about 1kg (2.2 pounds) underweight.

Here is a poop picture, but it looked much more yellow than it does here.

Here are the necropsy pictures from one of the peacocks.

Liver and cecal pouches

Contents of cecal pouch - black liquid poop, NOT normal!

Inside of cecal pouch

Liver with the blackhead spots and I think the black edges are necrotic

LL

-Kathy

Can you tell us what is an appropriate dose of the sulfadimethoxine? I have the powder (not home now or I would include a photo of bag) I was about to mix some up earlier for my peas. bag says it makes 50 gallons and to use 0.05% solution for chickens, 0.025% for turkeys. No clue on bag for measuring meds by volume (teaspoons, etc.) So I guess I am going to have to weigh it out.
Is it the 107 gram pack? If so, there is dosing info here:
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

-Kathy

Not home, on cell :-( I wanna say dimethox label? Bag says put one whole bag in 50 gallons of water... So I know I need 1/10 of bag, but without knowing what the volume of meds is in the bag, I'm either going to have to weigh it out in grams, or try to measure how many teaspoons are in there and then figure out 1/10 from there... also dont know if the 0.05 % solution is appropriate strength for peas, and effective. We know label amounts for some things not strong enough

Last edited:
Not home, on cell :-( I wanna say dimethox label? Bag says put one whole bag in 50 gallons of water... So I know I need 1/10 of bag, but without knowing what the volume of meds is in the bag, I'm either going to have to weigh it out in grams, or try to measure how many teaspoons are in there and then figure out 1/10 from there... also dont know if the 0.05 % solution is appropriate strength for peas, and effective. We know label amounts for some things not strong enough
Eye ball it... If it looks like there are 50 teaspoons in a bag, go with that amount. How big is your waterer?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom