Lazy Peachick

I'm sad to say he passed away this morning
hit.gif

Although I haven't had much time to really get involved in this thread, I have been following. I am really sorry to hear you lost this one, you made a seriously courageous effort here and I only wish both had pulled through for you.
hugs.gif

You gave it your best effort and that's all you can do. Every year we lose a couple that we really don't want to lose. We lost a bird that is a new color or a variation on an existing one this year. It happens. Between hatching and 7-8 months, Peas are just delicate in many ways.

Although I very rarely do this myself, I do suggest you open the bird up just to look at the liver. If all of casportpony's posts have done nothing else (and she has done plenty of other things), they have proven that long term illness such as what you have experienced are almost (90%) always due to protozoan based infections and diseases that affect the internal organs, primarily the liver. I think it would be good for you to confirm the problem/result if for no other reason than to convince yourself of a course of action for future problems.

Generally, worms will not kill a bird. Neither will coccidiosis. It is the secondary problems caused internally by worm overload. There are multiple stages to these illnesses/diseases. The first stage is the failure of the birds systems to adequately deal with worms resulting in worm overload and general stress on the bird. The second stage is the birds systems being unable to deal with the disease itself.

The first stage can be prevented by regular and EFFECTIVE worming. The beginning of the second stage can be cured by the use of Metronidazole if the damage is not severe.

We tend to lump all of there diseases into the "blackhead" label but there are actually many.

Thank you guys, i have asked many vets if they could do a necropsy, but they didn't, and i swear i can't do it myself, i will try to search tonight for anyone who can do this even if they don't know anything about birds, but what would cause damage to the liver?

Btw, at least i still have two silver chicks, the other one weights 1,901 kg today, which means he still loosing weights, even so look great and he is eating and drinking, don't why he is still loosing weights! Could changing the place effect that?!

This his poo today:

Last edited:
Finding out if the liver is damaged/compromised will give Kathy a better idea of how to treat the pea chick that is still alive. It will also let you know if you need to be doing something differently for tbe rest of your pea cocks.

Back
Top Bottom