le fell off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lerzygirl, Aug 10, 2016.

1. lerzygirl

lerzygirl New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    well my chicken started limping about 8 months ago. I checked her feet for bumble foot or anything else but there was nothing. The only thing that was there was that above her ankle. I thought she broke her foot so I bandaged it. But nothing seemed to change and she seemed to get arounb fine. She was also eating and drinking and she was not panting or anything so she seemed in no pain. All that was there was an unusual sore like a cluster of warts. It did not get bigger and none of the others got it so I thought it was like are large callas. Fast forward 8 months after, my mom went out there and noticed the chicken was limping more. She picked her up and noticed right before the body started the leg was only attacked by one feather. Nothing else. There was no blood or anything. The leg was just off. Anyways the chicken gets around fine and looks to be in no pain. What do you think could be the reason for the leg coming off?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like frostbite to me. I had the same thing happen to a baby goat born in January. It stepped in the water dish on a cold morning, a few months later the lower part of its leg came off. It got around on three legs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Scaly leg mites, in very bad cases, can also cause loss of toes or a foot. But I would tend to agree with oldhenlovesdogs in that it may be frostbite. Jan-Feb seem to be the worst months for it in the US. Could you post a picture of the extremity? It can be fairly easy to tell if there is some swelling of the area above the frostbite, such as in this picture of toes, and below, a foot and toes. The black part probably fell off a month or two after pictures.

[​IMG]
    picture by LooneyGoonie of frostbite in toes

[​IMG]
    pic by henthusiast

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. lerzygirl

lerzygirl New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    The swelling was before where the leg came off. And the leg looked healthy. it did not look like frost bite. Sorry I cant take a picture my mother threw it away. But the leg did not look dead or anything. It just had that warty lump around the ankle.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If I were you, I'd cull her. There's no way she can live a normal life.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    agreed

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I meant to take a picture of how the remaining part of the leg looks now. Unless the leg was somehow deprived of circulation due to something tight around the leg, something taking the leg off, scaly leg mites, or frostbite, I'm not sure how the leg could come off.

8. lerzygirl

lerzygirl New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    Well she gets around fine, eats, drinks, lays eggs and tries to run around. She looks to be in no pain and still has a lot of life in her so I don't think I am going to cull her.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that is probably the right thing to do. I believe in giving animals a chance, as long as they are eating and having a fairly good quality of life. She may need a little extra TLC, and I hope she gets along okay.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  10. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Subscribing because I want to see pictures of this one legged chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by