le fell off

lerzygirl

Hatching
Aug 10, 2016
well my chicken started limping about 8 months ago. I checked her feet for bumble foot or anything else but there was nothing. The only thing that was there was that above her ankle. I thought she broke her foot so I bandaged it. But nothing seemed to change and she seemed to get arounb fine. She was also eating and drinking and she was not panting or anything so she seemed in no pain. All that was there was an unusual sore like a cluster of warts. It did not get bigger and none of the others got it so I thought it was like are large callas. Fast forward 8 months after, my mom went out there and noticed the chicken was limping more. She picked her up and noticed right before the body started the leg was only attacked by one feather. Nothing else. There was no blood or anything. The leg was just off. Anyways the chicken gets around fine and looks to be in no pain. What do you think could be the reason for the leg coming off?

Sounds like frostbite to me. I had the same thing happen to a baby goat born in January. It stepped in the water dish on a cold morning, a few months later the lower part of its leg came off. It got around on three legs.

Scaly leg mites, in very bad cases, can also cause loss of toes or a foot. But I would tend to agree with oldhenlovesdogs in that it may be frostbite. Jan-Feb seem to be the worst months for it in the US. Could you post a picture of the extremity? It can be fairly easy to tell if there is some swelling of the area above the frostbite, such as in this picture of toes, and below, a foot and toes. The black part probably fell off a month or two after pictures.

picture by LooneyGoonie of frostbite in toes

27440_imgp2362.jpg

pic by henthusiast

Last edited:
The swelling was before where the leg came off. And the leg looked healthy. it did not look like frost bite. Sorry I cant take a picture my mother threw it away. But the leg did not look dead or anything. It just had that warty lump around the ankle.

I meant to take a picture of how the remaining part of the leg looks now. Unless the leg was somehow deprived of circulation due to something tight around the leg, something taking the leg off, scaly leg mites, or frostbite, I'm not sure how the leg could come off.

Well she gets around fine, eats, drinks, lays eggs and tries to run around. She looks to be in no pain and still has a lot of life in her so I don't think I am going to cull her.

Well she gets around fine, eats, drinks, lays eggs and tries to run around. She looks to be in no pain and still has a lot of life in her so I don't think I am going to cull her.

I think that is probably the right thing to do. I believe in giving animals a chance, as long as they are eating and having a fairly good quality of life. She may need a little extra TLC, and I hope she gets along okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom