1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lead Based Paint

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dan chickens, Nov 22, 2010.

  1. Dan chickens

    Dan chickens New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Nov 22, 2010
    Virginia
    My crazy girls were bored I guess and began to peck the paint off my old barn. I bought a lead based test kit from Lowes and sure enough, it showed positive for lead based paint. I have now covered the area with aluminum trim coil (so no more pecking). I called the ag agent in my area and he suggested I throw the eggs out for a month before I consume or sell any. My question is: 1.) Are my chickens in danger of dying b/c of the paint they consumed? 2.) How long should I throw the eggs out? 3.) Do I have to cull the flock?
    My ag agent said consuming some would be fine (for adults) not for children. I may eat a couple of my girls eggs a week. The rest I was going to sell....now I have to throw out. They just started producing eggs. I have 18 hens and 1 rooster. I'm now getting 8-10 eggs a day. Most of my flock is Aracuna but all were purchased this spring. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
     
  2. CMV

    CMV Flock Mistress

    6,771
    128
    281
    Apr 15, 2009
    1. Probably not. Lead poisoning deaths are usually achieved over long periods of time, so since you caught it early they should be fine.

    2. I'd follow what the person from your extension office said. If he said a month, then I'd toss eggs for a month.

    3. I wouldn't. Lead will get flushed out of the body over time if they are not constantly getting more of it.

    I would look at getting some of the lead sealer paint for your barn. I know it is out there because I know people who have used it. It binds with the lead paint so that the lead paint can't chip off and end up floating around in the environment. I am sure there must be other areas of the barn where paint is chipping off, so it could potentially be a danger for any livestock or children wandering around.

    Good luck.
     
  3. Happy Chicken Mama

    Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

    474
    0
    149
    Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    We had a chicken who got lead poisoning once. She got very sick but managed to pull through.

    She is a silkie who ate the paint off of our kitchen cabinets. We live in a 1929 home.

    The vet did a test and said that from a 1- 10... 11 meaning dead... she had a 39! No one was sure how she lived.

    We didn't eat the eggs for about six weeks. It took her a while to show symptoms... can't remember how long.

    She would only get sick at night. Had a hard time standing or breathing. Not sure why at night... maybe her resting temp. had something to do with it.

    Hopefully none of yours will get sick! Don't cull them they can get through it even if they did eat the paint.

    Ours is happy and healthy... and banned from eating treats in the kitchen!
     
  4. Dan chickens

    Dan chickens New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Nov 22, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info! I greatly appreciate it.
     
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. GAchick

    GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    482
    0
    121
    Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Interesting post.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by