leaky poultry waterer nipples

I installed a nipple in a water bottle for my brooder and it leaked. I would have sworn up and down it was coming from the nipple, but I put some silicone around the outside and it stopped leaking. Recently I made a PVC waterer though and one of he nipples in that kept leaking. I reinstalled it to make sure it was pointing straight down, but no difference. I ended up replacing just that nipple and it's fine now. For the record, I have 4 in my PVC waterer, used an 11/32 drill bit, and used a drill to get them in (and I had to push on them a bit and clamp the drill around them too) and 3 of 4 were fine (well, 4 of 5 technically since I installed a different one). I did put silicone around them just in case, but they didn't leak without that either.

I installed 4 threaded nipples into a PVC pipe using both teflon tape and plenty of silicone, and one of the 4 nipples still leaks.

Not from the seal between the nipple and the pipe, but from the center of the nipple itself.
I wouldn't normally care at all, but since this is in a brooder box it's soaking the pine shavings and making a real mess.
sad.png

I hear you. I have some that leak and some that don't. ALl drilled with a bit that came with the nipples and then sealed with silicone. Frustrating when I hang up a 2 liter bottle and then the floor is soaked. UGH !!

I was under the impression that these neipple that I bought could be installed at any angle. THose that I placed at a 45 degree angle worked well initally, but over time some have failed. Some that I installed directly on the bottom failed also. I have tried pulling off the old silicone and applying new.

Doesn't work as well as I was expecting.

Where are you all buying these from? I've read here in the forums of some cheapo knock-offs that tend to leak. I don't know how many companies make the things, but I haven't had any problems with the ones I've ordered from Farmtek. Been using them for a few years now. I use teflon tape on the threads too.

Did you ever figure out how to solve this issue with the chicken nipple? I have the same problem with the nipples I recently purchased off ebay. I made the first prototype waterer and found that it was leaking. I realized it was the nipple itself that was leaking, not the seal around the nipple. I was hoping that you found a solution to the problem.

Mine leak too...but not that bad, we still only fill the 5 gallon bucket that feeds the system once every several days or so (I have 8 chickens). I was thinking about digging a hole in the ground under the nipples and filling it with gravel for drainage and maybe that will prevent the puddle that I have now (which isn't that bad really)...I still think it's better than the regular waterer!

Where are you all buying these from? I've read here in the forums of some cheapo knock-offs that tend to leak. I don't know how many companies make the things, but I haven't had any problems with the ones I've ordered from Farmtek. Been using them for a few years now. I use teflon tape on the threads too.
Yes I've read of people having problems with nipples from Ebay, China etc. Following are the ones I got and have had no problem
http://www.qcsupply.com/farm-livest...aterers/420006-poly-threaded-body-nipple.html
The Farmtek ones seem good but the shipping cost is high. I used an 11/32" bit and it was a tight fit into the PVC pipe. I put the nipple in my portable drill to help it get started. It might (?) have helped if I wet the threads. I used plumbers tape.

I also ordered mine from QC Supply and have had no problems with leaks. I have both the screw-in and push-in styles. I prefer the push-in as they are easier to install for me. My chicks and chickens love em....I think using a good drill bit and installing them vertically make a big difference. Also not to much pressure as I had a 15 gal rain drum 6ft off the ground feeding a 3/4" pvc system and the poor chickens would get a blast of water in their faces when they tried to drink. I used valves to turn the pressure down and no problems. Good luck to all....

Farmtech sells drip cups for the pultry nipples...its a simple red cup that hangs below to catch any dripping...i guess its a very common problem... Not just with chicken but even pregnant women...my wifes nipples leaked all the time

Old post but I have a new system that's leaking pretty good. Pretty upset. Here is the picture. The bucket is about 1/3 - 1/2 full by using a float valve. Is the bucket too high and causing too much pressure? The nipples sort of spray when I press them but nothing crazy. I am thinking too much pressure could be the problem. Also these are Amazon special 25 for $7 which I think may also be an issue.

Thoughts???

Back
Top Bottom