Learning as I Go

Hello All, I recently bought my first ducks about 2 months ago. They are Pekins, super cute! Anyway, is it normal for them to eat mud? They free range during the day, they have a huge pond and access to food all day. They have created a small muddy hole in the back yard and eat mud from it on a regular basis. They eat chicken feed, plants from the yard and koi food (we have koi in the pond). The koi food has thiamine in it, but could it be a vitamin deficiency or are they just eating the mud as grit. They are otherwise fat and healthy birds. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hello All, I recently bought my first ducks about 2 months ago. They are Pekins, super cute! Anyway, is it normal for them to eat mud? They free range during the day, they have a huge pond and access to food all day. They have created a small muddy hole in the back yard and eat mud from it on a regular basis. They eat chicken feed, plants from the yard and koi food (we have koi in the pond). The koi food has thiamine in it, but could it be a vitamin deficiency or are they just eating the mud as grit. They are otherwise fat and healthy birds. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Yes, they eat mud....Ducks love to dig holes and noodle in the mud.....

They don't eat the mud. They take it in their mouths and then stick their bills in water and push the water and mud out of their bills. Have you ever noticed those teeth looking things on the edge of your duck's bills? When they push the water/mud out those serrations filter it. So they are left with the little bugs and things from the mud. This is also why you get a layer of mud at the bottom of your water buckets. Though, if it is really watery mud they don't need a water bucket.

Back
Top Bottom