least loud roos

jenson2003

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
hi guys, Jenson here and I want to know which roos out of this list are generally quieter and crow less frequently
Speckled Sussex
Buff Sussex
Exchequer leghorn
Polish
Brahma
Pekin
Cream legbar
Silver Sussex trio
Rhodes island red
also, what is an alternative to the no crow collar as I'm always looking for the best deals

thanks in advance

I don't think you can pick a roo by breed to have a quieter crow. But, my experience is limited in that area. I would avoid the No crow collar, or anything similar at all costs. I've read about too many deaths and near deaths associated with it. Imagine a hot day with a rope tied around your larynx to restrict air flow "just a bit". There are a few vets who are doing surgery to clip vocal cords, but the surgery is risky to the point that the vet that is doing it will not do it on YOUR rooster, but he will SELL you a rooster that he has altered. It's also very costly. I think if I was trying to cut roo noise, I'd do it by planting a hedge around the run/coop or my yard to help muffle noise. Wishing you the best in your roo quest!

Just an other thought that you might consider: Choose your flock with a roo who will produce sex linked chicks when crossed with your hens. I'm assuming you are just getting started and don't have your hens yet???

Last edited:
We went to the fair this year and there was a RIR cockeral all by himself in the corner by the bantams. A very good looking boy and when approached let out a crow that literally made your ears ring. I swear the thing couldn't have weighed more than 2 or 3 lbs. but you could hear it distinctly on the other side of the 50,000 sf building.

Point being: In my limited experience, a roo is a roo is a roo. They all crow, and they all crow frequently. Collars are usually a malfunction waiting to happen, and surgeries are extremely expensive and don't always work.

The real question is if you don't want the noise, why do you want the rooster? We hatch our own eggs so a male is a necessity. If we made the decision not to hatch, the 3:30 AM alarm clocks would be gone at 3:31 AM.

If you want to hatch but can't have the roo, find egg sellers that have fertile eggs. I have a few sources that have fertile eggs and will sell them at $3-4 a dozen un-refrigerated. No promises on fertility, but I can usually hatch out about 75-80% of them.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

thanks, guys,
i do have my 4 beautiful light Sussex bantams and nine hybrids which I may have to give up (only hybrids, not bantams btw)
so I need extra income as I sell the hybrids eggs to buy feed for them and my bantams so I would like to start breeding I saw that someone was getting rid of these breeds and I thought I'd breed a trio or quad to make income and for the spare roos we have a constant space in the freezer inn and hens aren't hard to sell I have a spare coop and feeders/waterers if you have any suggestions it'd be great!

also i do live in the uk countryside so i dont know why i should have to have a quiet rooster but i cant find the zoning permits anywhere on the web

Back
Top Bottom