Leave it alone!

I think you need to cull the entire flock. You will not be able to bring any birds in or let any leave if you do have a contagious respiratory disease. I would contact the local agriculture extension to have a few birds tested (you will have to pay for it) to be sure that is what you have. If you have a contagious respiratory disease and it certainly sounds like you do you must cull every bird (with or without symptoms as they ave shared the same air space), burn the bodies (the state may do this for you for a fee), clean out the coop with a bleach and water solution then lime it, after 3 or 4 months clean it again and then you can begin to rebuild the flock. I know this is hard to hear but this is the reality of what you may be dealing with. Like Cynthia said Tylan 50 and other antibiotics will only cover up the disease per say but the birds will ALWAYS be sick and will infect any bird brought on to your property. If you intend on breeding or selling birds then those that leave will most likely infect the flock of the person that bought from you. I like Cynthia and others do not medicate my birds with antibiotics. IMO it makes for a very weak flock that will be easily susceptible to disease.

This post is my personal opinion and I do not mean any disrespect nor to upset you.

Good Luck

Before you cull make sure your coop is clean and ammonia free. I was having a similar problem and someone told me that if the ammonia smell gets too bad it can cause similar problems with your birds.

I checked and yes it was pretty smelly....I cleaned it completely out and the next day there was no more problem. They stopped sneezing and the watery nose thing stopped.

Just an idea!!

Quote:
Good suggestion

ETA: since I have upset Harleys girl I will elaborate. This is a good suggestion to start with. If it clears it up then great. I would still STRONGLY suggest having a few random birds tested to be sure. Tylan 50 and other antibiotics only COVER UP the disease, they do not cure it. If the birds come back positive for CRD then cull the flock as it WILL NEVER go away.

Last edited:
It was speckledhen that told me and it worked. I was very worried and thought i was going to have to cull my flock. I'm very thankful that speckledhen suggested that the ammonia was getting to strong.

herechickchick wrote: I think you need to cull the entire flock. You will not be able to bring any birds in or let any leave if you do have a contagious respiratory disease. I would contact the local agriculture extension to have a few birds tested (you will have to pay for it) to be sure that is what you have. If you have a contagious respiratory disease and it certainly sounds like you do you must cull every bird (with or without symptoms as they ave shared the same air space), burn the bodies (the state may do this for you for a fee), clean out the coop with a bleach and water solution then lime it, after 3 or 4 months clean it again and then you can begin to rebuild the flock. I know this is hard to hear but this is the reality of what you may be dealing with. Like Cynthia said Tylan 50 and other antibiotics will only cover up the disease per say but the birds will ALWAYS be sick and will infect any bird brought on to your property. If you intend on breeding or selling birds then those that leave will most likely infect the flock of the person that bought from you. I like Cynthia and others do not medicate my birds with antibiotics. IMO it makes for a very weak flock that will be easily susceptible to disease.

This post is my personal opinion and I do not mean any disrespect nor to upset you.

Good Luck

Quote:
Good suggestion

This is a perfect example of why I get upset.

OH KILL THEM!!!
Oh wait try that that is a good idea!

I for one can not afford to replace my whole flock. I have well over a hundred chickens. If one is sick I separate and medicate. If they do not improve then.....and only then!!! will I kill them. So far I have only ever had to kill 3. Out of 110-120+ I have only had 3 cases. And I have had them for 4 years and last year was the first time I had to put one down. I personally talked to Peter Brown he said (these are his words not mine!!) "You get a few people who read some articles or even a book or two and before you know it they are the experts! I have been a vet for 30+years. And I have only ever told a handful of people that there was no hope. And in this past year I have only had one die on me!" I listened to the Doc. Call him if you don't believe me. I think it would be a bit hasty for her to go out and start slaughtering! Give them some treatment. For goodness sakes I can not tell you how many threads I have read that people will take their chicken to a vet and pay $1,000's of dollars on one bird! I guess they should have just let them die huh? I am sorry I do not mean to sound all huffy puffy but I think she should try some different things out. Try the coop cleaning, ventilation, meds. Goodness, give them a chance.
hmm.png
The very first time I posted an illness everyone said KILL THEM ALL!!!! I called the Doc, he told me how to handle it. And with some Vet rx, Tylan50 and yogurt I got it taken care of. I still have my little hen. And I do not regret not killing her. She is my favorite bird! And the sweetest little thing ever. I got to bond with her. Please, be sensitive. I walked away from my computer that day a just bawled my eyes out! I am so glad I listened to the Doc. I am now signing off of this thread. I am walking away. I do wish you kryptoniteqhs the best of luck. If you would like to PM for what all the doc prescribed please do so.​

Last edited:
Harley's Girl, Peter Brown has a PhD in poultry science and he's helped me more than once; however, unless he's recently become one, he is not a veterinarian. Yes, it's a monetary loss, to be sure. I never claimed to be a vet NOR an expert, but I've done the research and if you read the articles rather than what other people say, you will see that what I have said is true.
Now, certainly, I cannot diagnose your flock, but the fact remains that herpes viruses that cause these chicken diseases cannot be cured. No argument will change that. I want the BYC members to go on good information and facts, do the research. Too much misinformation is floating around the chicken world.
I have spoken with Doc Brown too. His mission is to help people with their chicken problems and do what THEY want to do. If a person wants to treat, he tells them how. That doesn't mean the birds are cured. It means they are functioning again. I respect Peter Brown immensely and certainly, if you can reach him, please do so. He's a great guy.

EDITED TO ADD: Each person is responsible for their own decisions about their flocks. All we need is the proper information to make informed decisions. And we need to be realistic. Some realities of poultry disease are very harsh. So, good luck to you, krypton, with your chickens.

Last edited:
Yeah, hay and straw can hold in moisture which will bring on your symptoms. They also NEED sunlight. The sun is a natural disinfectant and will help greatly to keep your coop clean. ...so ventelation (without too much drafts- they say to have the ventelation in an area that wouldn't hit the birds directly when they roost) is key. It is a very fine line and I don't think I have enough ventelation at night when they're locked up but during the day, they all go back out and I make sure their bedding isn't wet and there are large windows on my coops

As for culling, I have to respectfully disagree with speckledhen and missprissy. I raise my birds for show as well as pets and I cherish each of them dearly. I just don't have the heart to cull unless this proves to be something that cannot be gotten rid of. I had a couple sniffles with my black mottled cochin hen I had just purchased from Jamie Matts the week earlier. I contacted him and we both agreed winter transitions can be difficult on birds and, that as long as it wasn't re-occuring, she should be treated. I put her on the duramycin and she has been perfectly fine ever since. I hope this is the case for you as well.

I know some bycers strive for the healthiest birds possible... and so do I. I just believe in second chances:) I hope they clear up soon.

Quote:
Msbear; this is perfect.. I've been looking and looking for some kind of WV related info to post, but haven't been able to come up with much. If you show your birds, then you must know the ropes of having your birds bled/tested for infectious diseases. Please, if you could, pass along a link or a phone number for the OP to call. When I was interested in showing my birds, I contacted our local University (Penn State), who suggested I take the course to become a Certified Poultry Tech (at the end of this month). I will then be able to bleed my flock and take the vials for diagnostic testing to the University. At that point, I will know what I have, and what I do not have - and inevitably - what I would need to cull. This is in preparation to become part of the NPIP program this spring.

Thanks.

Edited to Add:

Here is what I *could* find:

Report Sick Farm Birds: If your farm birds are sick or dying, call USDA’s Veterinary Services toll free at 1-866-536-7593, or your State Veterinarian or local extension agent.

West Virginia Department of Agriculture
Animal Health Division
60-B Moorfield Industrial Park Road
Moorefield, WV 26836
Dr. Jewell Plumley
PHONE: (304)538-2397
FAX: (304)538-7088

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted our ag. dept. and they set me up with a guy named Jesse. He's the only field agent in ALL of WV
roll.png
..and he mostly tests sheep, pigs and cattle
hmm.png
It took him forever!! to test my flock of 12. But we got a clean bill of health and the best part is it's totally free.

Kaylee, you can contact the ag. dept. or the extension service as well as speak to "the chicken lady" at TSC. All of those options, would be good way to start in the right direction if things don't clear up in a few days. The chicken lady told me to bring in the sick birds indoors to help aid the meds. ...so def. get some heat into the coops. ...I couldn't imagine bringing in 20 some birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom