Leave raspberries in run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChestnutRidge, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I am carving out a run for my new coop, but the area is mostly covered in raspberry brambles. I am worried about all of the thorns.

Should I leave them or weed-wack and remove them before putting the chickens in? The chickens are 9 weeks old.

Thanks!

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Leaving them in shouldn't hurt - unless its totally over grown and they dont have the ability to move around.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Heck - I planted raspberries in my run and have to guard them with chicken wire. I wish I had MORE...and for free like yours. [​IMG]

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    My chickens LOVE raspberries....the berries, the flowers, the leaves....all of it. As long as they can move about freely amongst the brambles they will prefer having them there....and they will eventually eat them down to very little or nothing. My girls have never had problems with the thorns. Mine enjoy raspberry, blackberry and thimbleberry bushes.

5. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Are they going to keep you from doing what you need to do (catch them or clean up after them)? then get rid of them. But in my experience weed wacking won't get rid of them for long.

6. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Thank you for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate your experience. I think I will leave them in the run and let them eat the leaves and berries. As long as I don't have to worry about the thorns, I am sure that they will soon decimate this plant life as they do all else. [​IMG] A lot of my property is covered with wild raspberries, so it will be okay if I lose this bit. (I know I am really lucky to have all of these berries! They cover all of the areas that the former owner mowed that the forest is trying to reclaim; we cut the saplings that would change the border area into new forest and enjoy all the berries!)

[​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I used to have raspberries.......................

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I was thinking about putting some grape vines or brambles in my run for shade, shelter and for chicken entertainment value.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by