Leave raspberries in run?

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
I am carving out a run for my new coop, but the area is mostly covered in raspberry brambles. I am worried about all of the thorns.

Should I leave them or weed-wack and remove them before putting the chickens in? The chickens are 9 weeks old.

Thanks!

Heck - I planted raspberries in my run and have to guard them with chicken wire. I wish I had MORE...and for free like yours.
hmm.png

My chickens LOVE raspberries....the berries, the flowers, the leaves....all of it. As long as they can move about freely amongst the brambles they will prefer having them there....and they will eventually eat them down to very little or nothing. My girls have never had problems with the thorns. Mine enjoy raspberry, blackberry and thimbleberry bushes.

Are they going to keep you from doing what you need to do (catch them or clean up after them)? then get rid of them. But in my experience weed wacking won't get rid of them for long.

Thank you for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate your experience. I think I will leave them in the run and let them eat the leaves and berries. As long as I don't have to worry about the thorns, I am sure that they will soon decimate this plant life as they do all else.
wink.png
A lot of my property is covered with wild raspberries, so it will be okay if I lose this bit. (I know I am really lucky to have all of these berries! They cover all of the areas that the former owner mowed that the forest is trying to reclaim; we cut the saplings that would change the border area into new forest and enjoy all the berries!)

woot.gif

I was thinking about putting some grape vines or brambles in my run for shade, shelter and for chicken entertainment value.

Back
Top Bottom