Leaves for the run?

rosinsk1772

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Tiverton, RI
My run is getting muddy, and I want to add leaves. It seems this should be okay. Can I leave the leaves to breakdown or will I need to remove them? Also will this increase the insect population? I'm new to this.

Thanks

My run is getting muddy, and I want to add leaves. It seems this should be okay. Can I leave the leaves to breakdown or will I need to remove them? Also will this increase the insect population? I'm new to this.

Thanks

Yes you can add leaves in the run, but wood chips or shavings will dry it quicker than leaves. I used to do this but we put a solid roof on the run last fall. I'll still add the leaves because the chickens love to dig through them.

Also will this increase the insect population? I'm new to this.

Thanks

Won't hurt to have more insects. That just adds protein to their diet. I've never seen my girls turn down a bug. I've actually watched them "fight" over them. Snails are fun. It takes a while to get through the shell.

When the leaves break down the soil will become richer and bugs and worms will come and the hens will eat them
wink.png

My chickens always loved when we added the dry leaves we raked at fall. They scratch and peck looking for insects and actually manage to break down a large pile in a short time. However, we really didn't find it helped much with a muddy run. We added sand for the mud issue and that helps.

Back
Top Bottom