Leaving door to coop open at night?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I am wondering if it is okay to leave the door to the coop open during the night? They have a secure run and there are no predators around that could get them. I live in Northern Norway and the only possible offender would be an eagle (though I've never heard of them taking anything domestic), but the run is covered with a net. Objections to leaving the door open that I have seen have mostly been about predators. However, my worry is more about a possible draft. I have left it open during very warm nights to allow for a better airflow (I do have ventilation), but have closed it when it's been wet and windy. I would prefer to leave it open as much as possible both because it's easier for me, but also because I go to bed before they do and rise after they are already up, which means they are confined to the coop until it suits me.

You really don’t have predators? No lynxes, bears, weasels etc?
I wouldn’t think the draft would hurt chickens.
Nope. I'm on an island though. There are otters, but they don't come up to the houses and I don't think they take chickens. Eagles also generally stay away from the houses. Other than that there really isn't anything. We don't even have mice or rats. There are little mice that live in the forests and stuff, but people don't get mice in their houses.

I wish you’d show us photos of what it looks like on your island! What kind of chickens do you have?
Just found some random photos I had. In the first barely shows my house in the bottom right and in the middle of the photo with the dock is our local grocery store. The chickens I have are mostly a mix of lohman and australops and they come in a variety of colors. Then there are three orpingtons. :)

Skjermbilde 2021-07-18 kl. 19.47.42.png

Skjermbilde 2021-07-18 kl. 19.46.23.png

Skjermbilde 2021-07-18 kl. 19.47.23.png

Skjermbilde 2021-07-18 kl. 19.48.05.png

Skjermbilde 2021-07-18 kl. 19.47.05.png

Back
Top Bottom