leaving eggs in egg cartons for hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aray67156, Mar 19, 2009.

1. aray67156

aray67156 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    i have been using an egg carton to help organize the bator but i day 18 i take them out and lay the eggs in the hatching tray, but i have heard of some people leaving them in the egg cartons for the hatching, big end up little end down. the problem i always have is the chicks rolling the eggs around and then they get broken. anyone else leave them in the cartons, or what else can i do.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hatch in egg cartons and will never go back to just laying them on their sides.

3. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My last hatch I left them in the carton...It worked great! They hatched out in half the time the hatch before did when they weren't in the cartons.
    There wasn't the problem of the hatched chicks pushing around the eggs, potentially breaking them either.
    Just remember to cut off the tops of the cartons incase the chick pips lower.

4. aray67156

aray67156 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    hey everyone thanks for the info, does it also work well for ducks?

5. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I don't know about ducks, but here's a picture of how much I cut the carton down for my first hatch.

[​IMG]

Not much was left of the carton, but I did like doing it this way.

Bil

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't even bother to cut mine down....I just cut the lid off and leave the bottom as is.

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I was just about to ask if it works for duck eggs too!! I have 12 hours to find out!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use the carton to hatch my chicken and duck eggs. I dont bother to cut the carton down, but I do poke holes in the bottoms for air flow.

9. tingle

tingle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Forgive my ignorance I am REALLY NEW to poultry and hatching but this idea appeals to me how do you turn the eggs and how much do you turn them,also I have some eggs in on day 12 can I put then in egg cartons now to finish off or would I damage them Thanks

10. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I like the carton method too!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by