leaving for 2 weeks! is that okay?

My heart almost stopped when I just saw the title of this post. I agree with all the others who responded. Please don't leave them without care. Yes, there must be someone who could take care of them for you. Kids, teens, elderly, unemployed.... I can think of a gazillion people who would be credible caretakers while you are gone. Please!

No way I would never leave my babies for that long .I think of my chickens like my babies !! Make sure you have someone nearby to take care of them especially with this heat!!
smile.png

No ~ especially not in summer when it is hot. Not only could they run out of food or worse water, but the long confinement could lead to the hens getting "cabin fever" and they could begin to pick on each other, possibly to the point that 1 or more could be injured or even killed.

I agree I would never leave my birds for 2 weeks without fresh water/feed! I can't even go one day without changing their waterers, it's 94 degrees here today with high humidity, even with the windows open in the coop it's still unbearable in there. I certainly would try to get a friend/family member who isn't going on the trip to pop in every day or every other day to freshen up the water and check on their well being...Maybe let them out in their run for awhile....

ETA those eggs are gonna be spoiled in 2 weeks of sitting in the coop anyways so why not let the tree rats have a feast?

Last edited:
I know the OP has different heat issues than most of us. Oregon is not hot. However, my concerns are about dirty water, water that gets knocked over, food that gets moldy from rain, predators that find a way in with no one to stop them from being repeat offenders, birds that start picking on each other until someone gets wounded. And that's not even talking about the egg-eating that would probably start with confined, bored birds. Not a good idea on so many levels.

Does Oregon have a thread in the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" section? I would post there to see if anyone is nearby who would be willing to help. Our Bay Area thread does this all the time. Check it out.

eta - I just found the Oregon thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48

Last edited:
Find someone that will check them for free eggs- leave enough food and more water then you could dream of them using- I'd have them access to the run also- (if its covered from Hawks and mostly predator proof.)

Quote:
old.gif

What a terrific and brilliant idea.
bow.gif

Ok you have 11 hens, lets say your getting 8 eggs a day on avg. times 14 days = 112 eggs roughly. Your keep those same hens in a coop for the same amount of time. You better get a shovel ready because trouble is a brewing. What the heat dont kill,the ones left are going to fight it out. Not to mention food and water. Man I wouldn't even leave a Beta fish that long. This is a gourmet recipe for ultimate disaster of epic proportions.

Hate to be blunt,but do I have your attention? Would you leave a dog that long in a pen,of course not. Even a cat which are pretty self sufficient is an extremely long time.

There are some great ideas here,some I thought of and some I haven't like the one above. Both my girls are members and I did not think of that.
he.gif
If you cant utilize any of the ideas,I would suggest you dont go to Boston. Boston is a nice place to visit because I live hear,(my version of an old saying). Its not going anywhere,its been around about 380 years it aint goin nowheres.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom